I. Find the word which has a different sound in the underlined part.
1. A. square B. badminton C. grandfather D. match
2. A. idea B. reason C. feature D. teacher
3. A. easy B. please C. weak D. pear
4. A. goggles B. sport C. stop D. not
5. A. match B. machine C. champion D. chess
II. Choose the correct answers.
11. Sports and games an important part in our lives.
A. play B. do C. go D. make
12. When you go to the zoo, don't the animals.
A. play B. do C. tease D. watch
13. Playing sports helps us get .
A. fat B. free C. fittest D. fitter
14. Nam's dream is to become a .
A. loser B. champion C. contest D. gamer
15. "I'd like to watch motor racing because it is very ."
A. frightening B. exciting C. excited D. boring
16. My sister often badminton in her free time.
A. play B. plays C. playing D. to play
17. Marathon is considered a/an sport.
A. team B. individual C. indoor D. sporting
18. Our school football team the match with Tran Phu School last Sunday.
A. wins B. won C. scores D. scored
19. Tam three goals for our team and made it a hat trick.
A. scores B. scored C. plays D. played
20. Blackburn Rover is at the bottom of the league. They most of their matches this season.
A. played B. won C. lost D. scored
III. Complete the sentences with the correct words from the box.
1. In basketball you the ball on the floor.
2. In tennis you the ball.
3. In football you the ball.
4. In rugby you the ball to people in your team.
5. In football the goalkeeper needs to the ball.
6. In hockey you never the ball.
IV. Complete the funny story with the Past Simple of the verbs in brackets.
It (1. be) Sunday, the day of the big game. The players (2. arrive) early. They (3. be) excited. Everyone (4. want) to play.
There (5. be) lots of people in the stadium. They (6. wave) and (7. cheer) when the players (8. walk) on to the ground.
The referee (9. call) the captains to the middle. The referee (10. ask) . "Where is the ball?" Nobody (11. answer) .
All the players (12. look) at the ground. There (13. be) no ball. The referee (14. cancel) the game.
V. Complete the text. Use the past simple of the verbs in brackets.
Last year my family (1. go) to Greece on holiday. We (2. meet) a lot of new people and I (3. take) a lot of photographs. We (4. stay) in a good hotel near the sea, and there (5. be) a lot of things to do there. Unfortunately, on the first day I (6. have) some problems. I (7. hit) my head on the bathroom door and then I (8. cut) my finger, so for two days I (9. read) a lot of books and (10. play) games on my laptop. After that I (11. do) a lot of things - swimming, sailing, and so on. When we (12. leave) , I (13. be) really tired! I (14. tell) Dad that I needed another holiday!
VI. Read the story and decide if the sentences are true (T) or false (F).
On Saturday, Patricia was in the park when she saw a boy on a mountain bike. He was on the hill when suddenly he fell off his bike. Patricia ran over to help. "Where's my helmet?" he shouted. It was under a park bench so Patricia went to get it. Just then another boy ran past, took the boy's mountain bike and rode away. "Stop!" Patricia shouted. She ran after the other boy and stopped him. He got off the bike and ran away. Patricia took the bike back to the boy, "Thank you, Patricia," he said. "How do you know my name?" Patricia asked. "I live next to you," he said. "My name's Tom". On Sunday Tom left some flowers on her doorstep to say "thank you".
1. Patricia was in the street when she saw a boy on a mountain bike. T/F ______________
2. The boy fell off his bike. T/F_______________
3. Another boy rode away with his helmet. T/F ______________
4. Patricia stopped the other boy and took the bike back. T/F_______________
5. Tom gave Patricia a CD to say "thank you". T/F_______________
VII. Read the text and answer the questions.
Sun, Sea, and Sport
Australians love sport. They play it, they talk about it and they watch it on TV. Australian weather is perfect for sport, and there are thousands of great beaches, so swimming is very popular. The population of Australia is only about 20 million, but many of the best sportsmen and sportswomen in the world come from Australia.
Young people in Australia are very active. More than 60% of children go to sports clubs. They also do activities with friends such as skateboarding, cycling, and rollerblading.
The most popular sports for boys are football, swimming, Australian Rules football, tennis, cricket, basketball, rugby, martial arts, athletics, and hockey.
The most popular sports for girls are netball, swimming, tennis, basketball, gymnastics, football, athletics, martial arts, hockey, and horse riding.
1. What do Australians think of sport?
2. Why is swimming popular?
3. Which three sports are only popular with boys?
4. Which three sports are only popular with girls?
VIII. There is ONE mistake in each sentence, try to find the mistake and correct it.
1. Unluckily, we won the game although we practised a lot.
2. His team promise that they should win the match next summer.
3. His favourite sport is table tennis, although his father will give him a racket for his 13th birthday.
4. Can you say the difference between a sport and a game?
5. In my spare time, I do judo and play a lot of running.