I. Turn these sentences into reported speech.
1. "I try to learn hard to pass the entrance exam."
à My sister said ____________________________________________________
2. "My students are preparing the hall for their meeting."
à The teacher informed ______________________________________________
3. "Lien doesn't want to go for a picnic tomorrow."
à Lan told _________________________________________________________
4. "We bought a special TV which could perform two different channels at the same time last week."
à My friends told me ________________________________________________
5. "Lily will be a talent musician in the future."
à The music teacher hoped ___________________________________________
6. "Science and technology are the keys to develop the country."
à People believed ___________________________________________________
7. "You have to wear school uniform next Monday," our teacher said.
à Our teacher said ___________________________________________________
8. "I saw the alien yesterday when I was going out with my friends" the boy said.
à The boy said that __________________________________________________
9. "I have just received a birthday gift from my mother," my friend said to me.
à My friend told me _________________________________________________
10. "The story about that happened long ago" she said.
à She said _________________________________________________________
II. Use the given words to write the complete sentences.
1. We/ have/ car/ service/ and/ seem/ there/ problem/ engine.
2. Scientists/ try/ work out/ way/ reduce/ pollution/ aircraft.
3. All/ us/ know/ the way/ the success/ not/ easy.
4. Nick/ tell/ that/ he/ go camping/ his classmates/ next day.
5. Technology/ field/ telecommunications/ develop/ significantly/ recent years.
6. Call/ me/ you/ finish/I/ come/ pick/ you/ up.
7. When/ he/ come/ tomorrow/ they/ travel/ Japan.
8. We/ all/ believe/ he/ recover/ her illness/ soon.
9. My sister/ visit/ China/ this time next month.
10. Match/ already start/ by the time/ he/ get/ stadium.
III. Rewrite the sentences in direct or indirect speech.
1. "Production of these chemicals causes serious environmental pollution", said the scientists.
à The scientists said that______________________________________________
2. "New scientific discoveries are being made all the time."
à We believed that __________________________________________________
3. Miss Anne said that she was doing scientific experiments at that moment.
à Miss Anne:"_____________________________________________________ "
4. Minh asked his friend who he had been out with the weekend before.
à Minh: ___________________________________________________________
5. They asked us how we had got on with David two days before.
à They:" _________________________________________________________?”
6. "The students will watch a documentary on the future of nuclear power tomorrow", said the teacher.
à The teacher said that _______________________________________________
IV. Rewrite each of the following sentences using the word(s) given so that its meaning stays the same.
1. My science exam starts at eight tomorrow morning. (TAKING)
à At eight tomorrow _______________________________ my science exam.
2. The teacher will finish marking the exams and then she will tell us our results. (SOON)
à The teacher will tell us our results _______________________________ marking the exams.
3. We're willing to wait for you. (WILL)
à We __________________________________
4. "I’ll buy them as they're so cheap!" said Tony. (GOING)
à Tony said he _______________________________ as they were so cheap.
5. "Everything was different yesterday", said Nick. (BEEN)
à Nick said everything _______________________________ before.
6. "We're going on our yearly diet tomorrow", said Jessie and Sandy together. (STARTING)
à Jessie and Sandy said together that ______________________their yearly diet the next day.
V. Use the given words to write the complete sentences.
1. We/ believe/ science/ technology/ the keys/ develop/ the country.
2. Steward/ said/ he/ not want/ dessert/ because/ he/ full.
3. future/ robots/ do/ many/ thing/ us/,/but/ may not/ improve/ quality/ our lives.
4. We/ hope/ scientists/ invent/ more/ energy- saving device/ help/ us/ easily/ save power.
5. international meeting/ economic development/ take place/ Singapore/ this time next week.
6. Science/ technology/ the key/ development/ many/ field/ our life/ and/ will bring/ lot/ more benefits/ people.