1. He _______ this book for 3 months by the end of this week.
A. has been writing B. was writing C. is writing D. will have written
2. It _______ dry here at this time of the year. It _______ much.
A. is usually / does not rain B. has usually been / is not raining
C. will usually be / has not rained D. was usually / will rain
3. Yesterday evening the phone _______ three times while you _______ dinner out with your friends.
A. would have rung / are having B. was ringing / have been having
C. rang / have had D. had rung / were having
4. John _______ lazy but he is certainly not stupid.
A. should be B. maybe C. mustn’t be D. must have been
5. My little brother _______ Japanese and French though he is only ten years old.
A. can speak B. must be speaking
C. should have spoken D. shouldn’t be speaking
6. You _______ to do the homework or the teacher will punish you.
A. mustn’t forget B. needn’t forget C. will be forgetting D. must have forgot
7. Bob sent a report to the Chairman instead _______ the meeting.
A. to attend B. to attending C. of attending D. attended
8. I regret _______ you that you did not pass the test. However, you should try it again.
A. telling / do B. told / doing C. told / done D. to tell / to do
9. It is no use _______ the boss for a pay rise.
A. ask B. to ask C. asking D. asked
10. She does not study very well _______ I think she will pass her exams.
A. but B. so C. and D. or
11. We like games and music, _______ reading.
A. as B. as well as C. but D. therefore
12. She was not in the back yard, _______ was she upstairs.
A. or B. nor C. and D. so
13. Do not add _______ to the machine. Just _______ will be enough.
A. some oil / no drop B. a few oil / a little drop
C. many oils / any drop D. too much oil / some drops
14. Bill spends _______ money on clothes, but on travelling
A. a little / some B. as many / some C. a few / many D. little / much
15. We have _______ to do.
A. few homeworks B. any homework C. a lot of homework D. some homeworks
16. _______ from here to the station? - Only 2 kilometers.
A. How far is it B. How far does it C. How long is it D. How long does it
17. You used to live in London, _______?
A. don’t you B. didn’t you C. weren’t you D. haven’t you
18. _______ the room been cleaned yet?
A. Does B. Has C. Is D. Was
19. Eight dollars _______ the price of a movie these days.
A. are B. is C. have been D. were
20. _______ the news on at 5 or 6 o’clock?
A. Is B. Are C. Have D. Were
21. Seeing films _______ my favorite hobby.
A. is B. are C. were D. were used to be
22. I have just bought a cottage by _______
A. the lake side B. the lake’s side C. the side of the lake D. the side’s lake
23. I think your proposals are the same as _______
A. Peter B. Peter’s C. it of Peter D. this of Peter
24. All of them hope that everything will be ready in _______
A. three day time B. three days’ time C. three-day’s time D. time three days
25. Peter was not always so hopeless.
A. Peter never had a hope for anything. B. Peter was used to being hopeless.
C. Peter gave up his hope. D. Peter did not use to be so hopeless.
26. The number of people who approved of his ideas exceeded his expectations.
A. He had expected that nobody would disapprove of his ideas
B. He had expected that everybody would approve of his ideas.
C. Less people approved of his ideas than he had expected.
D. More people approved of his ideas than he had expected.
27. Julie and Anne had not met each other before the party.
A. Julie and Anne got acquainted when they were at the party.
B. The party prevented Julie and Anne from meeting each other.
C. The party was the place where Julie and Anne could not meet each other.
D. Julie and Anne used to meet each other for the party.
28. Mountain gorillas are an endangered species _______ habitats are being destroyed.
A. Its B. His C. Her D. Their
29. John admitted that he _______ would take any blame.
A. itself B. himself C. themselves D. ourselves
30. When _______ lived in the village, _______ only light was candles and an oil lamp.
A. we / ourselves B. we / our C. our / ours D. ourselves / we