PART A : PRONUNCIATIONS
I. Choose the word (A, B, C or D) whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the others
1. A. casual B. baggy C. flat D. equal
2. A. chart B. chair C. school D. cheer
3. A. rained B. laughed C. traveled D. leaned
II. Choose the word (A, B, C or D)whose main stress is placed differently from the others in each
4. A.happy B. listen C. happen D. advise
5. A. invent B. provide C. teacher D. decide
PART B : VOCABULARYS AND GRAMMARS
I.Give the correct form of the verbs in brackets in the following sentences
6. The children always look forward to (receive)_________________toys from their parents.
7. Where _________________you (go) _________________ if you had a lot of money?
8. The room looks tidy. Somebody (clean) _________________ it.
9. When I got to the station yesterday, my pen pal (wait)_________________for me.
10. This book (write) _________________for children last year.
II.Give the correct form of the words given to complete the sentences
11.The small children are very_________________in cartoon. INTERST
12. Many tourists have been attracted by the _________________of Ha Long Bay. BEAUTIFUL
13. We love Nam because of his _________________to the children. KIND
14. I like Mr Lanh because he always talks to his partners_________________. POLITE
15. This Chinese knife is _________________It can nothing. USE
III. Choose the word / phrase (A, B, C or D) that best fits the space in each sentence.
16.She has never been late for class, _________?
A. isn’t she B. is she C. hasn’t she D. has she
17.The man_________met you at the bus stop yesterday is my brother.
A. which B. who C. whom D. where
18.Thank you for looking_________the children while I was out.
A. at B. after C. for D. up
19.If energy_________inexpensive and unlimited, many things in the world would be different.
A. is B. will be C. were D. would be
20.Nam: "Would you like a glass of beer?" - Long: "_________"
A. No, let's not B. No, I don't C. No, thanks D. No, I wouldn't
21.Hung is a very_________person. I really like talking with him.
A. interested B. interesting C. bored D. boring
22.I used _________to school by bike.
A. to go B. went C. gone D. going
23.He suggested_________ a taxi to the cinema.
A. taking B. take C. to take D. takes
24.We have written to each other _________last Christmas.
A. for B. since C. until D. before
25.They decided to go_________it was raining heavily.
A. and B. but C. though D. since
PART C : READING
I.Complete the passage with the words in the box
team each are require gets
There (26)_______main kinds of sports: team sports and individual sports. Teams sports are such
as baseball, basketball and volleyball. Team sports (27) _______ two separate teams. The teams play
against each other. They compete (28)_______ each other in order to get the best score. For example,
in a football game, if (29)_______A gets six points and team B (30)_______ three points, team A win
the game. Team sports are sometimes called competitive sports.
II. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to choose the
word or phrase that bestfits each ofthe numbered blanks from 31 to 35.
English is one of the most popular languages in the world. It comes second in the number of
speakers after Chinese. In Vietnam, more and more people are studying English and they consider it
a key to success. However, not everyone knows how to learn English effectively.
The best way to improve the four skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing is to practice
regularly. You should make use of every opportunity to speak English with friends in class or at
English speaking clubs or with ourselves in front of the mirror. Learning by heart all the words does
not help much if you do not read a lot because you will easily forget what you have learnt. Reading
books, listening to the radio and watching films are better ways to memorize words. Besides, English
learners should not be so shy because making mistakes is unavoidable in learning foreign languages.
Practicing speaking a lot is a good way to correct your mistakes.
31. The word “memorize" in paragraph 2 is CLOSEST in meaning to ___________ .
A. forget B. remember C. communicate D.stressful
32. How many skills are mentioned in paragraph 2?
A. 2 B. 5 C. 4 D.9
33. The passage is mainly about _________________
A. how to read books, listen to the radio and watch films.
B. how to learn English effectively.
C. people who study English in Vietnam.
D.people good at English
34. According to the passage, which of the following statements is TRUE?
A. English learner should be shy if they make mistakes.
B. You should never speak English with yourselves.
C. Many Vietnamese people consider English a key to success.
D.English is open the key
35. A good way to correct your mistakes is____________ .
A. avoiding speaking English
B. practicing speaking English a lot
C. stopping learning English
D. reading book
III.Read and choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
New Year is one of the most important (36) ______in the United States. On New Year’s Eve, most
people go to the parties. At twelve o’clock (37) ______night, everybody says “Happy New Year” and
they wish their friends and relatives good luck. New Year’s Eve is usually a long night to many
people. They didn’t go home until morning. Another holiday, Halloween, is mainly for children. On
this holiday, children dress as witches, ghosts or others. Most children go from house to house asking
for candy and fruit. (38) ______ the people at the house do not give (39) ______candy, the children
will say a trick on them. But this (40) ______ever happens. Most people give them candy or fruits.
36. A. festivals B. meetings C. contests D. courses
37. A. on B. at C. in D. for
38. A. Whether B. So C. Although D. If
39. A. they B. them C. their D. theirs
40. A. soon B. hard C. hardly D. always
PART D : WRITING
I.Rewrite the following sentences so that keep the same meaning.
41. What a pity. Mrs Lan can not go to Singapore with us.
→ We wish ________________________________________________________________
42. They built this palace in the 17th century.
→ This ____________________________________________________________________
43. Keep quiet or I’ll take you go out immediately.
→ Unless you ______________________________________________________________
44. Working at night is experient for me.
→ It is_____________________________________________________________________
45. “Is there a TV in your bedroom?”.
→I asked Lan ______________________________________________________________
II.Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first sentence, using the word
given. Don’t change the word given.
46.“Do you have English on Monday and Wednesday?” said Lan. HAD
→Lan asked me ____________________________________________________________
47.My new school has twenty four classrooms. ARE
48.You have to clean the classroom next Tuesday. BE
→The classroom ___________________________________________________________
49.Becausse of the hard rain, we couldn’t go out last night. BECAUSE
→We couldn’t _____________________________________________________________
50.How far is it from your home city to Hanoi capital? DISTANCE
→What is _________________________________________________________________