ĐỀ SỐ 13
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the word whose underlined part differs from the other three in pronunciation in each of the following questions.
1. A. close B. know C. cold D. lost
2. A. looked B. handed C. watched D. brushed
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
3. A. humor B. parade C. describe D. prefer
4. A. benefit B. energy C. effective D. tropical
II. LEXICO-GRAMMAR AND COMMUNICATION (3.25 points)
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
5. Lan is always late for school, ______?
A. was it B. isn't she C. isn't it D. was she
6. If people ______old items, they will save the environment.
A. reuse B. reused C. reusing D. to reuse
7. She came on Sunday morning and stayed here ______ 8.00 a.m. and 10.30 a.m.
A. on B. in C. between D. from
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the word OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word in the following question.
8. Hoi An is an ancient town in Central Vietnam. It was set up a long time ago.
A. comfortable B. boring C. modern D. local
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
9. It's a pity I don't have anyone to share my troubles with.
A. I wish I have someone to share my troubles with.
B. I wish I have no one to share my troubles with.
C. I wish I had someone to share my troubles with.
D. I wish I had no one to share my troubles with.
10. Charlie said, “I don't know what Fred is doing”.
A. Charlie said that he doesn't know what Fred is doing.
B. Charlie said that he didn't know what Fred is doing.
C. Charlie said that he doesn't know what Fred was doing.
D. Charlie said that he didn't know what Fred was doing.
Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the underlined part that needs correction in each of the following questions.
11. Thank you for looking up my little cat while I was away.
A. for B. up C. little D. away
12. The car who he has just bought is very expensive.
A. who B. bought C. is D. expensive
Read the following passage. Choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the correct word that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
People who enjoy shopping like to find everything under one roof. Do you need some new clothes? Do you want (18) _______ the latest video game or just have a coffee? The department store in Festival Place has got everything including a restaurant if you need a break at lunchtime or after school. The store is open seven days (19) _______ week. The car park is free but it's only a five-minute walk from the city center. During the week you can go to the cinema and the fantastic sports center which are (20) _______ the first floor. I asked my sister what she thought of the place. She said, “I never liked shopping before (21) _______ now I come here every weekend. It's brilliant and the milkshakes in the café are (22) _______!"
18. A. buy B. buying C. to buy D. bought
19. A. a B. an C. the D. some
20. A. at B. on C. in D. for
21. A. if B. so C. or D. but
22. A. amaze B. amazing C. amazement D. amazingly
Read the following article and choose the letter (A, B, C or D) to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
School life is not easy for some Maasai people in Kenya. In some schools, there are 70 students in one classroom. These schools don't always have books. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, or there isn't enough money.
This is especially true for Maasai girls. Not many Maasai girls in Kenya finish elementary school. Many Maasai girls have to leave school early to get married. Kakenya Ntaiya has a dream. She has a school for girls because she wants to help Maasai schoolgirls in her village.
Today, 200 girls go to Kakenya's school, and they love it. They study English and Swahili (an African language). They also study maths, science, geography, history, art, and P.E. Kakenya wants her students to have better lives.
23. Which of the following is TRUE about some schools in paragraph 1?
A There are 70 students in one classroom. B. Schools always have books.
C. There are always enough teachers. D. There is always enough money.
24. The phrase "especially true” in paragraph 2 means ______.
A. not true B. probably true C. only true D. even more true
25. Why do some Maasai girls not finish school?
A. They hate school. B. They leave Kenya.
C. They get married. D. They move to another house.
26. What can we learn about Kakenya from the article?
A. Only two subjects are taught at her school. B. She's from Kenya.
C. Her students have good grades. D. Her school is free for girls.
27. What's the best title for this article?
A. Life after School B. Kakenya's Dream C. Living in Kenya D. Kakenya's Life
Complete the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the original one, beginning with the given words.
31. His sister usually played hide and seek when she was a child.
° His sister used to __________________________________________________________
32. They started listening to music 15 minutes ago.
° They have________________________________________________________________
33. I think we should take the train.
° I suggest _________________________________________________________________
Order the words to make complete sentences.
34. got /this /late /up /I /morning.
35. learning / Tim /is/ on / English. /keen
36. that /is/Nam Cat Tien National Park/ fascinating / of /most / destinations / can / be / in / the / Dong Nai. / one / experienced