Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from the other three in each question.
1. A. tiger B. wife C. fire D. wisdom
2. A. soccer B. notice C. photo D. grocery
3. A. character B. school C. teacher D. chemistry
4. A. type B. fly C. early D. recycle
II. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
Choose the word or phrase that best completes each sentence below.
5. VTV2 is a channel which provides many _____ programmes for teenagers and children.
A. educational B. educated C. education D. educate
6. Pelé _______ 1,281 goals in his 22-year football career.
A. won B. got C. gained D. scored
7. I often _____ fishing with my father at the weekend.
A. do B. go C. play D. swim
8. Quang Binh province is famous for hard-working and _______ people.
A. friendly B. modem C. high D. costly
9. "What is your TV programme?" - "It's cartoons"
A. good B.favourite C. best D.like
10. You should take an umbrella ________ it is going to rain.
A. so B. because. C. although D. and
11. ________ do you go to school? - Five days a week.
A. How often B. How much C. How many D. How long
12. Please _______ the dog while we are away, Peter!
A. feed B. to feed C. feeding D. fed
13. My house is near………house, so I often go there and play badminton with her.
A. his B. her C. she D. hers
14. He ..................... out with his friends last week.
A. go B. goes C. went D. going
15. – “Last week I won the first prize in our school speaking contest”
A. Thank you B. Yes, I did C. Congratulations! D. Thank you
16. – “What’s your favourite TV programme?”
A. Cartoons B. Yes, I am C. Thank you D. Because I like TV programme
Choose the underlined part that needs correcting in each sentence below.
17. We go swimming with our parents last week.
A B C D
18. Mine hometown is a very beautiful place.
A B C D
Choose the word or phrase that is CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined part in each of the following sentences.
19. Hello Fatty! is a cartoon series about a clever fox and his clumsy human friend.
A. smart B. skilful C. careful D. foxy
20. Playing sports regularly can bring many health benefits.
A. frequently B. rarely C. sometimes D. randomly
Choose the word or phrase that is OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined part in each of the following sentences.
21. Lan enjoys living in the country side because it is very quiet.
A. silent B. noisy C. loud D. peaceful
22. Melbourne is quite a safe city to live in.
A. peaceful B. secure C. dirty D. dangerous
I. Choose the correct answer A, B, C, or D for each of the gaps to complete the following text.
Television first came some sixty years ago in the 1950s. Nowadays, it is one of the most (23) sources of entertainment for both the old and the young. Television brings (24) for children, world news, music and many other (25) . If someone likes sports, he can just choose the right sports, (26) . It is not difficult for us to see why (27) is a TV set in almost every home today.
23. A. cheap B. expensive C. popular D. exciting
24. A. news B. cartoons C. sports D. plays
25. A. sets B. reports C. channels D. programmes
26. A. athletes B. channel C. time D. studio
27. A. it B. this C. that D. there
II. Read the passage, and then choose the correct answers.
Tokyo is the capital of Japan. In Tokyo, there are always too many people in the place where you want to come.
People are very polite even when they often spend a long time on traffic jams. Tokyo is different from London when you want to walk to a place.
During the day, most people travel to work by train. Tokyo people buy six million train tickets every day. Although they are usually crowded, Japanese trains are very good. They always leave and arrive on time. On a London train, everybody in a seat seems to be asleep whether the journey is long or short.
The worst time to be in the street at night is about 11.30 when the nightclubs are closing and everybody wants to go home.
28. Tokyo is different from London because .
A. it has a larger population B. it is a noisy city
C. it is more difficult to walk to somewhere D. its people are friendly and more polite
29. When does the writer think the worst time to go into the street?
A. When the nightclubs are closing. B. At 8.00 am.
C. When the trains are full. D. At 11.30 am
30. What does the writer think of Japanese trains?
A. They are very nice and comfortable. B. There are not enough trains.
C. They often run late. D. They leave and arrive on time.
31. In London trains, every British in a seat .
A. reads a newspaper B. looks like being asleep
C. talks with other people D. looks out of the window.
32. Which statement is NOT true according to the passage?
A. Most people in Tokyo travel to work by train.
B. It is very difficult to go around in Tokyo.
C. When Japanese people are on traffic jams, they are not polite.
D. Trains in Tokyo are very good - they always leave and arrive on time.
Choose the sentence (A, B, C or D) that is closest in meaning to the root sentence.
33. I am very busy today. I can't go to the cinema with you.
A. I am very busy today, but I can't go to the cinema with you.
B. I am very busy today, so l can't go to the cinema with you.
C. Although I am very busy today, I can't go to the cinema with you.
D. I am very busy today because I can't go to the cinema with you.
34. Phong works very hard. He doesn't earn much money.
A. But Phong works very hard, he doesn't earn much money.
B. Phong doesn't earn much money because he works very hard.
C. Phong works very hard, but he doesn't earn much money.
D. So Phong works very hard, he doesn't earn much money.
35. Rio de Janeiro is much hotter than Sydney.
A. Sydney isn't as cold as Rio de Janeiro.
B. Sydney is hotter than Rio de Janeiro.
C. Rio de Janeiro has a higher temperature than Sydney.
D. Rio de Janeiro has a lower temperature than Sydney.
36. We can see cartoons at 8.00
A. Where can we see cartoons? B. When can we see cartoons?
C. What can we see cartoons? D. How can we see cartoons?
Choose the sentence (A, B, C or D) that is closest in meaning with the provided words.
37. He/ visit/ Hue/ last year.
A. He visited Hue last year. B. He visited to Hue last year.
C. He was visited Hue last year. D. He visits Hue last year.
38. How often/ you/ watch TV?
A. How often you watch TV? B. How do often you watch TV?
C. How often do you watch TV? D. How often are you watch TV?
39. What/ cosy house!
A. What an cosy house! B. What a cosy house!
C. What cosy house! D. What is a cosy house!
40. Not/ eat much meat/ because/ it/ be not/ good/ you.
A. Not eat much meat because it isn’t good for you.
A. You not eat much meat because it isn’t good for you.
A. Do not eat much meat because it isn’t not good for you.
D. Do not eat much meat because it isn’t good for you.