EXERCISE 2: Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. “I’ll tell you about this tomorrow, Mary.” said Tom.
A. Tom said to Mary that he will tell her about that the next day.
B. Tom told Mary that I would tell you about that the next day.
C. Tom told Mary that he would tell her about that the next day.
D. Tom told Mary that she would tell him about that the next day.
2. “I have something to tell you” Mary said to John.
A. Mary told John I had something to tell him.
B. Mary told John she had something to tell him.
C. Mary told John she had had something to tell him.
D. Mary told John he had had something to tell her.
3. He said, “My wife has just bought a diamond ring.”
A. He said that his wife had just bought a diamond ring.
B. He said that my wife had just bought a diamond ring.
C. He said that his wife has just bought a diamond ring.
D. he said that his wife just bought a diamond ring.
4. “I will come with you as soon as I am ready”, she said to Philip.
A. She said to Philip he will come to see you as soon as he I am ready.
B. She told Philip she will come to see her as soon as she was ready.
C. She told Philip she would come to see you as soon as she was ready.
D. She told Philip she would come to see him as soon as she was ready.
5. “I wrote to him yesterday”
A. She said to me I wrote to him the day before.
B. She told me she wrote to him yesterday.
C. She told me she had written to him yesterday.
D. She told me she had written to him the day before.
6. “He is talking to your sister”, She said to me.
A. She told me he was talking to your sister. B. She told me she was talking to my sister.
C. She told me he was talking to my sister. D. She told me he was talking to her sister.
7. “It is the time to check what you have done”, the father said to the boys.
A. The father said to the boys it was time to check what they had done.
B. The father told the boys it was time to check what they had done.
C. The father told the boys it was time to check what they have done.
D. The father told the boys it is time to check what they had done.
8. “You will like my sister when you meet her”
A. He told me you will like her sister when you meet her.
B. He told me I will like his sister when I met her.
C. He told me I would like his sister when I met her.
D. He told me I would be liked his sister when I met her.
9. “I didn’t meet Susan last week”
A. He said he didn’t meet Susan the week before.
B. He said he hasn’t met Susan last week.
C. He said he hadn’t met Susan last week.
D. He said he hadn’t met Susan the week before.
10. “I didn’t break your watch”
A. The boy told the girl he hadn’t broken her watch.
B. The boy told the girl he didn’t break her watch.
C. The boy asked the girl he hadn’t broken her watch.
D. The boy told the girl he hadn’t broken your watch.
11. The mother told her son ______ so impolitely.
A. not behaving B. not to behave C. did not behave D. not behave
12. She said she _________ collect it for me after work.
A. would B. did C. will D. had
13. He asked me where I ______________.
A. have studied B. study C. am studying D. studied
14. The man wanted to avoid __________ on security cameras.
A. to see B. being seen C. seeing D. to be seen
15. Peter said that he had lived in London four years ________
A. then B. ago C. before D. later
16. John asked me _______________ in English.
A. what does this word mean B. what that word means
C. what did this word mean D. what that word meant
17. The host asked her _______________ tea or coffee.
A. whether she liked B. that she liked
C. if she likes D. whether she like
18. My friend asked me who _______________ the piano in the sitting room.
A. was playing B. plays C. is playing D. has played
19. The teacher told his students _______________ laughing.
A. would stop B. to stop C. stop D. stopped
20. Mary asked me ________________
A. whether I would watch the football match on TV the day before.
B. whether I watched the football match on TV the day before
C. If I had watch the football match on TV the day before.
D. whether I had watched the football match on TV the day before.
21. He asked _______________ him some money.
A. her to lend B. her lending C. she has lent D. she lends
22. Jennifer asked me where _______________ the week before.
A. had I gone B. did I go C. I had gone D. was I going
23. Tom asked me ________.
A. if was I having a good time last year
B. whether I had had a good time the year before
C. if would I have a good time the year before
D. whether I have had a good time the year before
24. Do you know where _______?
A. he lives B. did he live C. does he live D. he live
25. She asked me __________ the seat ___________ or not
A. If / had occupied B. Whether / was occupied
C. If / has been occupied D. Whether / occupied
26. The policeman asked us ______________
A. had any of us seen the accident happen
C. Whether any of us had seen the accident happen
B. If had any of us seen the accident happen
D. that if any of us had seen the accident happen
27. I asked him ___________, but he said nothing
A. what the matter was B. what was the matter
C. the matter was what D. what’s the matter was
28. James___________ him up when the bus reached the square
A. told me wake B. asked me to wake
C. said me to wake D. requested me waking
29. Excuse me. Could you tell me___________ ?
A. what time is it B. what is the time
C. what time it is D. it is what time
30. We wonder___________ from his office after that scandal
A. why did he not resign B. why he did not resign
C. why he not resign D. why didn’t he resign
31. Jeff wanted to know ___________
A. that why were his friends laughing B. why were his friends laughing
C. why his friends were laughing D. the reason why his friends laughing
32. Mr. Hawk told me that he would give me his answer the ___________ day
A. previous B. following C. before D. last
33. She ___________ him whether he liked the steak she cooked
A. asks B. wondered C. wanted to know D. asked
34. His neighbors sometimes wondered ___________ he did for a living
A. why B. when C. where D. what
35. Could you please tell me ___________?
A. It is how far to the nearest bus stop B. how far is it to the nearest bus stop
C. how far to the nearest bus stop is it D. how far it is to the nearest bus stop
36. Marigold wondered ___________ Kevin and Ruth would be at the party
A. that B. whether C. if D. B& C
37. He asked me___________
A. How long I have studied English B. How long had I studied English
C. How long I had study English D. How long I had studied English
38. The passenger asked ___________ we landed
A. what B. when C. if D. why
39. She asked Nam what ___________ in that room.
A. he is doing B. he was doing C. was he doing D. she was doing
40. “I didn’t take your calculator”, Bob said to Mary .
A. Bob told Mary he hadn’t taken her calculator
B. Bob told Mary I didn’t take your calculator
C. Bob told Mary he haven’t taken her calculator
D. Bob told Mary he had taken her calculator