Choose the word or phrase which best completes each sentence .
1. She was very upset by the _______ of his English examination.
A. result B. failure C. affect D. success
2. TV is bringing not only information _______ entertainment.
A. and B. but also C. as D. although
3. As a leader, he must learn how to speak well _______.
A. in public B. in school C. outside D. in country
4. A person who cannot speak or hear is called _______.
A. a character B. a deaf C. a blind D. a deaf-mute
5. Donna is _______ and she has a flower shop in Britain.
A. a flower seller B. a flower girl C. a florist D. a flower lady
6. Chicago is _______ right on the shore of Lake Michigan.
A. situated B. placed C. but D. laid
7. Would you mind _______ me your visa?
A. to show B. showed C. showing D. being shown
8. Natural disasters such as storms, floods or droughts can easily _______ their crops and harvests.
A. damage B. harm C. destroy D. all are correct
9. Its three _______ are building character, encouraging good citizenship and personal fitness.
A. decisions B. intentions C. aims D. achievements
10. Put _______ in my situation, you will understand why I was sad.
A. myself B. you C. yourself D. herself
11. _______ we arrived at the airport in time to see him off.
A. unluckily B. luckily C. luckier D. lucky
12. The activity of skating on ice is _______.
A. skating - ice B. ice - skating C. rice-cooking D. water -fetching
13. Health _______ is very important to prevent young people from the infection of AIDS.
A. educate B. education C. educator D. educational
14. In my opinion, it’s only common _______ to wear a seat belt in a car.
A. sense B. judgment C. intelligence D. wit
15. When I arrived at school, the school drum was _______.
A. ringing B. cheering C. sounding D. racing