II. IF- CLAUSE 1. You had trouble at school because you didn’t do your homework.(using IF) 2. Mel doesn’t ask her teacher so he doesn’t answer her questions. (inversion of IF_clause) 3. they do not listen carefully so they can’t hear the woodpecker. (inversion of IF_clause) 4. If I had lain down on the sofa, I would have fallen asleep. (inversion of IF_clause) 5. If you gave the young boy this stick, he’d hurt himself. (inversion of IF_clause) 6. The students didn’t solve the problem because they didn’t use their textbooks. (using IF) 7. He doesn’t wash his feet more often so his girlfriend doesn’t visit him more often. (inversion of IF_clause) III. RELATIVE CLAUSE 1. The house has been built in the forest. It doesn’t have electricity. (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH) _____________________________________________________________
2. Do you know the man? He is coming towards us. (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________
3. I sent my parents some postcards. They were not so expensive. (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH) _____________________________________________________________
4. I come from a city. The city is located by the sea. (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________
5. The soup was so delicious. I had it for lunch. (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________ 6. The first student has to clean the board. He comes to class (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________ 7. The only room was Mary’s. It was painted yesterday (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________ 8. She is talking about that author . His book is one of the best-sellers this year. (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH) _____________________________________________________________ 9. He bought all the books . They are needed for the next exam. (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH)
_____________________________________________________________ 10. Those children are taught well. Their parents are famous teachers (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH) _____________________________________________________________ 11. Do you know the boy? we met him at the party last week? (Using WHO/ WHOM/ WHICH) _____________________________________________________________ 12. Was Neil Armstrong the first person? He set foot on the moon (Reduction of relative clause) _____________________________________________________________
1. They believe that People make compost from vegetables. -> Compost________________ 2. You must finish this work before Sunday. -> This work _____________________________________ 3. She hasn't used this bicycle for a long time. -> This bicycle __________________________________ 4. People rumour that I saw a strange man in my garden yesterday. -> A strange man _______________________________ 5. They clean the floor every morning. -> The floor ____________________________________ 6. They will solve the problem soon. -> The problem __________________________________ 7. The boy broke the glass into small pieces. -> The glass ____________________________________ 8. They made these cars in the USA. -> These cars ______________________________________ 9. People have used the Internet all over the world. -> The Internet ___________________________ 10. It is said that this building was built by French people many years ago. -> This building ___________________________
Choose the best sentence that can be arranged from the words given.
11. Are the police making inquires about the thief?
12. How can they open this safe?
13. What books are people reading this year?
14. Someone will tell him that news.
15. They declared that she won the competition.
16. They rumored the man was still living.
17. People think that Jack London’s life and writing’s represent the American love of adventure.
18. They reported that the troops were coming.
19. People believed that the earth stood still.
20. Toshico had a mechanic repair her car
21. Ellen got Marvin to type her paper.
22. Dr Byrd is having the students write a composition.
23. Will Mr. Brown get the porter to carry his luggage to his car?