41. _______ they are brothers, they do not look like.
A. Although B. Even C. Despite D. In spite of
42. We are concerned with the problem of energy resources _______ we must also think of our environment.
A. despite B. though C. as though D. but
43. Our new neighbors are quite nice _______ they are sometimes talkative.
A. despite B. in spite of the fact C. though D. as though
44. _______ of the difficulty, they managed to climb to the top of the mountain.
A. In spite B. Despite C. But D. Although
45. In spite of his hard work, he could not finish the job.
A. As hard as he work B. Despite he worked hard
C. Though he worked hard D. Although hard work
46. Despite the fact that _______, we enjoyed our trip.
A. the weather is bad B. it is a bad weather C. the bad weather D. the weather was bad
47. Tom went to work despite _______.
A. that he did not feel very well B. of the fact not feeling well
C. he did not feel very well D. not feeling very well
48. It was very cold _______ she did not put on her coat.
A. in case B. but C. even if D. even though
49. John rarely sees Paul _______ they live in the same town.
A. notwithstanding B. despite C. in spite of D. although
50. Even though it was raining heavily, the explorers decided to continue their journey.
A. It rained so heavily that the explorers could not continue their journey.
B. The explorers put off their journey due to the heavy rain.
C. The heavy rain could not prevent the explorers from continuing their journey.
D. If it had rained heavily, the explorers would not have continued their journey.
51. I did not answer the door even though I knew it was my friend.
A. unless I knew it was my friend, I would not answer the door.
B. I knew it was my friend, but I did not answer the door.
C. Only when I answered the door did I knew it was my friend.
D. I answered the door since I knew it was my friend.
52. Despite feeling cold, we kept walking.
A. Although we felt cold, but we kept walking
B. Although we felt cold, we kept walking
C. However cold we felt, but we kept walking
D. However we felt cold, we kept walking
53. The children laughed a lot because of the funny story.
A. The children laughed because the story is funny.
B. The children laughed because of the story funny
C. The children laughed because it was funny.
D. The children laughed because the story was funny
54. Although he took a taxi, Bill still arrived late for the concert.
A. Bill arrived late for the concert because he takes a taxi.
B. Bill arrived late for the concert because of the taxi.
C. In spite of taking a taxi, Bill arrived late for the concert.
D. Although Bill took a taxi he can’t come to the concert on time.
55. She was so busy that she couldn’t answer the phone.
A. Because she was very busy, she couldn’t answer the phone.
B. Because she was very busy, she could answer the phone.
C. Although she was very busy, she couldn’t answer the phone.
D. Although she was very busy, she could answer the phone.
56. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't open the door.
A. Although I tried very hard, I couldn't open the door.
B. Although I tried very hard, I could open the door.
C. In spite of I tried very hard, I couldn't open the door.
D. I couldn't open the door, even though trying very hard.
57. He is very rich, but he isn’t very happy.
A. Although he is very rich, but he isn’t very happy.
B. Although he is very rich, he isn’t very happy.
C. Although he isn’t very rich, but he is very happy.
D. Because he is very rich, but he isn’t very happy.
58. Despite the terrible noise, I kept on studying.
A. In spite the terrible noise, I kept on studying.
B. Although the terrible noise, I kept on studying.
C. Because of the terrible noise, I kept on studying.
D. Although it was terribly noisy, I kept on studying.
59. The flight was not delayed though it was foggy.
A. The flight was not delayed because it was foggy.
B. The flight was delayed although it was foggy.
C. The flight was delayed though it was not foggy.
D. The flight was not delayed in spite of the thick fog.
60. “We expected Larry to accept the job, but he didn’t.” is closest in meaning to “________”.
A. Larry accepted the job even though we didn’t expect so.
B. even though Larry was expected to accept the job, he didn’t.
C. Although Larry was expected to accept the job but he didn’t.
D. That Larry accepted the job was beyond our expectation.
61. She has the windows open, _________it is cold outside.
A. however B. therefore C. although D. so
62. There is still much to discuss. We shall, _________, return to this item at our next meeting.
A. therefore B. moreover C. although D. so that
63. The sea was dangerous, _________we didn't go out for a swim.
A. since B. but C. so D. as
64. The new trains have more powerful engines and are; _________, faster.
A. therefore B. however C. nevertheless D. nonetheless
65. It was cold and wet. _________, Paul put on his swimming suit and went to the beach.
A. Although B. Therefore C. However D. Because
66. I had no choice_________ sign the contract.
A. despite B. but C. without D. unless
67. You can dress_________ you like.
A. whatever B. therefore C. however D. nevertheless
68. _________hard he tried, he couldn't open the door.
A. Therefore B. However C. Although D. Despite
69. He bought a ticket_________.
A. and his brother did either B. but his brother didn't, too
C. and so his brother bought D. and so did his brother
70. Mai worked hard, ________ she passed her exam.
A. so B. although C. because D. though
71. _______ she was very tired, she helped her brother with his homework.
A. because B. whether C. although D. so
72. It’s raining hard, _______ we can’t go to the beach.
A. or B. but C. so D. though
73. Nam was absent from class yesterday _______ he felt sick.
A. so B. because C. although D. but
74. Tom has a computer, ______ he doesn’t use it.
A. or B. as C. because D. but
75. The boy can’t reach the shelf ______ he’s not tall enough.
A. because B. although C. even though D. and
76. The film was boring ______ we went home.
A. so B. when C. but D. if
77. The girl bought the shoes _______ they are very expensive.
A. but B. if C. so D. although
78. He used to smoke a lot ______ now he doesn’t smoke any more
A. still B. therefore C. but D. as
79. She couldn’t unlock it ______ she had the wrong key.
A. while B. but C. though D. because
80. _______ it rained, the boys played football.
A. even B. even though C. however D. in spite of
II. Add SO, BUT, THEREFORE, HOWEVER where appropriate
1. The wind was howling outside, ______but____________ it was warm and comfortable indoor.
2. The highway was under construction, _________so_____ we had to take a different route to work.
3. You could fly via Singapore; ______However________, this isn’t the only way.
4. There is still much to discuss. We shall, ______therefore________ return to this item at our next meeting.
5. It isn’t that he lied exactly, _________but_____ he did tend to exaggerate.
6. I thought the plane would be delayed; _______Therefore________ , I bought a lot of magazines to read.
7. Jackson was going to study all night, ______so_________ he declined our invitation to dinner.
8. We thought the figures were correct. __________however_____ , we have now discovered some errors.
9. Cars have become much more complicated. ________Therefore_______ , mechanics need more training than in the past.
10. We arrived at the theater late. _____However________ the play had not yet begun. We were quite surprised.
11. Prices have been rising. It is unlikely, _______however________, that this increase will continue.
12. The bread was old and stale, _____but_________ Martha ate it anyway.
13. The holiday had been a complete disaster. We, _____so______, decide to fly home early if we could.
14. He failed the exam, ________so______ he had to do the job he didn’t like.
15. The expedition hoped to climb the mountain by August. _________However_____ bad weather could be a hindrance.
81. it was still painful, ______ I went to see a doctor.
A. so B. however C. but D. or
82. Lan likes oranges ______ her sister doesn’t.
A. but B. as C. so D. because
83. Nam failed the final exam ______ he was lazy.
A. while B. though C. because D. but
84. He’s tired _______ he stayed up late watching TV
A. and B. or C. if D. since
85. Jim can speak English ______ and French fluently.
A. also B. but also C. and D. so
86. ______ the traffic, I arrived on time.
A. Though B. although C. even though D. in spite of
87. ______ they live near us, we can see them very often.
A. So B. as C. though D. even
88. ______ I was really tired, I couldn’t sleep.
A. If B. although C. while D. however
89. We watched TV the whole evening ______ we had nothing better to do.
A. Because B. though C. so D. but
90. It’s cheap ______ I don’t like it
A. And B. because C. so D. however
91. ______ it was late, I decided to phone Brain.
A. Despite B. however C. in spite of D. though
92. The little boy was hungry ______ he ate nothing
A. Although B. so C. but D. and
93. ________ the car was cheap, it was in good condition.
A. Although B. because C. as D. if
94. _______ tomorrow is a public holiday, all the shops will be shut
A. As B. just as C. although D. when
95. She came in _______ turned on the radio.
A. So B. and C. or D. but
96. We didn’t go for a walk ________ it was very cold
A. Though B. because C. but D. so
97. _______ tried to persuade her, I didn’t succeed.
A. Because B. so C. although D. however
98. Lan woke up late ______ she didn’t have time for breakfast
A. So B. since C. as D. though
99. I like fish ________ I don’t like catching them myself
A. Or B. but C. so D. and
100. He had an accident ________ he was careful.
A. Even though B. because C. so D. since
III. Join each pair of sentences. Use the words in brackets.
1. Mary came to class late. Her motorbike had a puncture. (because)
=> Because Mary's motorbike had a puncture, she came to class late.
2. Nick used to smoke. He seems to be in good heath. (although)
=> Although Nick used to smoke, he seems to be in good heath.
3. Our team won by a large margin. No one thought we would win the championship. (but)
=> No one thought our team would win the championship but our team won by a large margin.
4. I could not see his face clearly. He was standing in the shadow. (so)
=> He was standing in the shadow so I could not see his face clearly.
5. We couldn’t get tickets. We queued for an hour. (in spite of)
=> In spite of queuing for an hour, we couldn’t get tickets.
6. The man spoke very slowly. He wanted me to understand what he said. (so that)
=> The man spoke very slowly so that I could understand what he said.
7. She earned her living by selling newspaper. She got a B.A. degree. (even though)
=> Even though she got a B.A degree, she earned her living by selling newspaper.
8. Our flight was delay. We decided to take a long walk around the terminal. (since)
=> Since our flight was delay, we decided to take a long walk around the terminal.
9. I enjoyed the film. The story was silly. (in spite of)
=> In spite of the silly story, I enjoyed the film.
10. We live in the same street. We hardly ever see each other. (despite)
=> Despite living in the same street, we hardly ever see each other.
11. My foot was injured. I managed to walk to the nearest village. (although)
=> Although my foot was injured, I managed to walk to the nearest village.
12. They have very little money. They are happy. (in spite of)
=> In spite of having very little money, they are happy.
13. I got very wet in the rain. I had an umbrella. (even though)
=> Even though having an umbrella, I got very wet in the rain.
14. I couldn’t sleep. I was tired. (despite)
=> Despite being tired, I couldn't sleep.
15. He liked the sweater. He decided not to buy it. (though)
=> Though liking the sweater, he dicided not to buy it.
IV. Rewrite the sentences
1. cars cause pollution but people still want them. (although)
=> Although cars cause pollution, people still want them.
2. We took many pictures although the sky was cloudy. (in spite of)
=> In spite of the cloudy sky, we took many pictures.
3. Although he is wealthy, he is not spoiled. (despite)
=> Despite being wealthy, he isn't spoiled.
4. Even though she had a poor memory, she told interesting stories to the children. (despite)
=> Despite having a poor memory, she told interesting stories to the children.
5. Though he has been absent frequently, he has managed to pass the test. (despite)
=> Despite being absent frequently, he has managed to pass the test.
6. My sister will take a plane even though she dislikes flying. (in spite of)
=> In spite of disliking flying, my sister will take a plane.
7. He isn’t happy although he is very rich. (despite)
=> Despite being very rich, he isn't happy.
8. Even though he got a good job, he was not satisfied. (despite )
=> Despite getting a good job, he wan't satisfied.
9. Although he often tells lies, many people believe him. (despite)
=> Despite the fact that he often tells lies, many people believe him.
10. Mary didn’t go to school yesterday because she was sick. (because of)
=> Because of being sick, Mary didn’t go to school yesterday.
11. She went to bed early because she felt tired . (because of)
=> Because of feeling tired, she went to bed early.
12. Margaret stayed at home because her mother was sick. (because of)
=> Because of Margaret's mother sickness, she stayed at home.
13. I couldn’t read the letter because the room was dark. (because of)
=> Because of the dark room, I couldn’t read the letter.
14. The train came late because it was foggy. (because of)
=> Because of being foggy, the train came late.
15. The train was late because the fog was thick. (because of)
=> Because of the thick fog, the train was late.
16. I can’t sleep because the weather is hot. (because of)
=> Because of the hot weather, I can't sleep.
17. Because there was a traffic accident, I went to school late. (because of)
=> Because of a traffic accident, I went to school late.
18. Because there is a shortage of meet, we had to live on beans. (because of)
=> Because of a shortage of meet, we had to live on beans.
19. Because there was a lack of water, many trees died rapidly. (because of)
=> Because of a lack of water, many trees died rapidly.
20. She walked slowly because her leg was injured. (because of)
=> Because of her injured leg, she walked slowly.
21. She didn’t eat much though she was hungry . (despite)
=> Despite being hungry, she didn’t eat much.
22. He couldn’t solve the problem though he is good at math. (despite)
=> Despite being good at math, he couldn’t solve the problem.