Ex1 . Odd one out:
*Pronunciation: Choose the word that has underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.
1. A. terraced B. satisfied C. hooked D. relaxed
2. A. visited B. recommended C. wanted D. hoped
3. A. ride B. excite C. ridden D. beehive
4. A. cattle B. circular C. country D. collect
5. A. generous B. ger C. grassland D. guess
6. A. ethnic B. gather C. though D. clothing
7. A. vast B. cart C. craft D. paddy
8. A. scarf B. school C. scenery D. scary
*Stressed position: Choose the word that has different stress pattern.
1. A. generous B. nomadic C. interesting D. comfortable
2. A. community B. identify C. expensive D. socialize
3. A. colourful B. buffalo C. blackberry D. convenient
4. A. active B. commune C. diverse D. heritage
5. A. leisure B. minority C. exciting D. traditional
6. A. unique B. cloudy C. slowly D. boring
Ex2. Choose the best answer:
1. He works _______ than I do
A. slowly B. slow C. slower D. more slowly
2. In Britain, gardening _______ a popular pastime since Roman times
A. was B. will be C. has been D. is
3. Do you fancy _______ with friends?
A. socialise B. to socialise C. socialising D. socialised
4. _______ Thai’s main food is rice, especially sticky rice
A. The B. A C. An D. Ø
5. In ethnic tradition, women _______ cloth to make garments for their family members
A. sew B. knit C. weave D. make
6. Sunny sings the songs _______ than Jessie does
A. more well B. best C. more good D. better
7. _______ youngest boy has just gone to _______ school
A. the / Ø B. Ø/ the C. a/ Ø D. an/ Ø
8. She is trying to work _______ for her upcoming exam
A. hardly B. harder C. hardlier D. more hardly
9. In the countryside, people still have to _______ water from the rivers or wells
A. collect B. collection C. collective D. collecting
10. Collecting honey from the _______ requires a lot of skills
A. beenest B. beehive C. beehome D. beehouse
11. If you write _______, you will make fewer mistakes.
A. more careful B. as carefully C. more carefully D. less carefully
12. There are many _______ in living in the mountainous regions
A. difficult B. difficulty C. difficulties D. difficultly
13. Agriculture plays an _______ role in the economy of Viet Nam
A. import B. importance C. unimportant D. important
14. A: The drought has led to many bad effects on farmers’ life.
B: That’s right. Because they depend _______ on the weather
A. hardly B. strongly C. slowly D. heavily
15. I can’t live without coffee. I’m so _______ to it
A. addictive B. addicted C. addict D. addiction
16. _______ does Hung Temple Festival take place? – In Phu Tho
A. What B. Where C. When D. Why
17. She has read _______ interesting book
A. the B. an C. a D. Ø
18. There were lots of interesting folk games, _______ Kenny stayed a little longer to join them.
A. but B. because C. however D. so
19. My father sometimes goes _______ in the forests. He’d like to find some more food for our family.
A. hunt B. hunting C. to hunt D. hunted
20. ________ ethnic group has a larger population, the Tay or the Ede?
A. What B. Which C. Why D. Who
21. People in the countryside live _______ than those in the city.
A. happy B. more happily C. happily D. less happy
22. ‘Is it true that Y Moan was the greatest pop singer of the Ede?’ ‘_________’
A. Really? B. How beautiful! C. Come on! D. Exactly.
23. ‘In some ethnic groups, women play the leading role in the family’ ‘_________’
A. Well, of course. B. I don’t think so. C. Wow, that’s surprising! D. It’s all right
24. ‘I have just taken an elephant ride in Buon Don.’ ‘________ How interesting!’
A. Certainly. B. Really? C.Terrible. D. Exactly.
25. The Dao in the Sapa area is famous ________ its “love market.”
A. for B. in C. with D. to
Ex3. Correct the mistakes:
1. We speak English more fluent -> fluently than last year.
2. The exhibition in the museum shows the diverse -> diversity of different cultural groups.
3. She is boring -> bored with the silence in the countryside because she used to live in a big city.
4. Playing team sports gives you much -> more fun than individual sports.
5. At first, Tom was -> has just hooked in going shopping. Now he is addicted to it.
6. The Tay have largest -> larger population than the Thai.
7. We’ve listed lots of better things to do instead of watch -> watching TV.
8. Although the island has no clean water and electric -> electricity, it attracts lots of tourists.
9. Having leisure activities are -> is truly important to the elderly.
10. We could run around the fields and shout out loud without disturb -> disturbing anybody.
*Choose the suitable word to fill in each gap.
Quan was twelve years old when his family (1) _____ from the countryside to the city. A lot of things changed when he started living in the city. When he lived in the countryside, he used to (2) ____ to school every day. On the way back, Quan and his friend would stop by an empty field to play soccer together. (3) ____, he goes to school by bus. Every evening, he has to hurry home to avoid being stuck in traffic jam. There is hardly any space on the sidewalk so it's difficult to find a big enough space to play soccer. Quan's schoolyard is no better; it's smaller than the one at his old school. Even though some of his classmates like soccer, they (4) ____ playing on their computer to playing on the real field. Quan misses playing soccer with his old friends, now all he has is either watching soccer (5) _____ TV or playing on computer.
1. A. moved B. has moved C. will move D. is moving
2. A. walking B. to walk C. walked D. walk
3. A. In the future B. Nowadays C. Now D. In the past
4. A. dislike B. choose C. prefer D. depend
5. A. by B. above C. on D. inside
*Read and answer the questions
The Thai have a population of about one and a half million people living in provinces of Lai Chau, Son La, Yen Bai, Hoa Binh, Thanh Hoa, and Nghe An. The Thai language belongs to the Tay-Thai group. The Thai are experienced farmers. They dig canals to bring water to their fields. Their main food is rice, expecially sticky rice. The Thai also grow other crops on burnt-out land. They raise cattle and poultry for their own use. They also make bamboo items, and weave cloth. Thai cloth is well-known for being unique, colourful and strong. Recently, Thai men prefer to wear the Kinh’s style of dress, while Thai women keep their traditional costumes including short blouses, long skirts, scarves and ornaments. The Thai live in stilt houses built side by side. The Thai worship their ancestors. Every year they hold festivals and ceremonies with alternating songs between boys and girls, and many traditional games.
1. Do the Thai people have their own language?
-> Yes, they do.
2. What is the main food of the Thai people?
-> Their main food is rice, expecially sticky rice.
3. What is the Thai cloth well-known for?
-> Thai cloth is well-known for being unique, colourful and strong.
4. Which still wear their traditional costumes, Thai men or Thai women?
-> Thai women.
5. Who do the Thai worship?
-> The Thai worship their ancestors.
*Read and choose the answer to the questions
Ruou can, also known as tube wine in English, is a unique drink that can be found in the mountainous regions of Central Vietnam like Tay Nguyen. It’s made from rice and other herbs. The recipe differs in various ethnic minorities groups depending on what is available in their surroundings. The ingredients are kept in a ceramic jar for a month. Using a thin bamboo straw, people drink ruou can directly from the jar. This drink is commonly served during a special celebration such as weddings, New Year festivals... People often gather around the wine jar and drink together while singing and dancing. It’s considered an honour in many ethnic groups to be offered this kind of rice wine.
1. What does the writer call ruou can in the passage?
A. Tube wine B. A kind of rice wine
C. Tube wine and a kind of rice wine D. A kind of beer
2. What are the ingredients of ruou can?
A. Rice and some local plants. B. Some kinds of rice.
C. Medical herb. D. Medical herbs.
3. Which of the folowing is TRUE about the recipe of ruou can?
A. The ingredients are kept in a jar made of metal.
B. The recipe of ruou can in every area is the same.
C. This kind of wine is made in one month.
D. People have to buy ingredients from other regions to make ruou can.
4. According to the writer, when do mountainous residents drink ruou can?
A. Every one month. B. Before singing and dancing.
C. When they climb to a mountain. D. When they celebrate special events.
5. Which of the following is NOT stated in the passage?
A. Ruou can is sold around the country.
B. People drink ruou can from the same jar.
C. Ruou can is usually made in mountainous regions.
D. Being served ruou can is an honour.
*Read and choose the answer to the questions
The thing I liked most when I was small was the change of seasons. Spring, summer, autumn and winter- I could see them all come and go and each one was completely different. Now in the city, you can buy summer flowers in winter and eat the same vegetables all the year round. Whereas, in the country, I could only eat things at certain times of the year, for example, strawberries in June and turnips in winter. I lived my childhood with the seasons. We also made most of our food and would never eat frozen or tinned food. Everything was fresh, so it must be better than the type of food I am taking now in the city. City people may think people in the country miss a lot of things about modern life. In fact, in my opinion they miss a lot more than people in the country, they miss real life.
1. What did the writer like most about living in the country?
A. The wild animals and plants B. Leaves in autumn
C. The change of seasons D. Flowers in spring
2. What does the word “them” in line 2 refer to?
A. Countryside people B. Four seasons C. Winter and autumn D. Plants
3. In the countryside which season can we buy strawberries?
A. Summer B. Winter C. Autumn D. Spring
4. Why did the writer never eat tinned food when living in the country?
A. Because it was frozen B. Because it was very fat
C. Because it was contaminated D. Because it wasn't very fresh
5. Which of the following sentences is NOT true?
A. People in the city can eat the same vegetables all the year round.
B. The writer often eat frozen and tinned food now.
C. In the countryside turnips are grown in winter.
D. Many city people think they live better than those in the country.
Ex7. Rewrite the sentences using the words in bracket:
1. My teacher likes to work with young children. (ADORES)
-> My teacher adores working with young children.
2. They don’t like to see their son texting his friends all day. (SEEING)
-> They hate seeing their son texting his friends all day.
3. It took me two hours to walk to her village. (SPENT)
-> I spent two hous walking to her village.
4. Mr Ba is a more careful driver than Mr Nam. (CAREFULLY)
-> Mr Ba drives more carefully than Mr Nam.
5. The villagers are quite poor, but they live a happy and healthy way. (ALTHOUGH)
-> Although the villagers are quite poor, they live a happy and healthy way.
6. A snail is slower than a crab. (SLOWLY)
-> A snail moves more slowly than a crab.
7. Phong is a faster swimmer than Phuc. (SWIMS)
-> Phong swims faster than Phuc.
8. We don’t use oil lamp any more nowadays. (USED)
-> We used to use oil lamp.
9. The Thai hold many festivals and ceremonies with alternating songs every year. (ARE)
-> Many festivals and ceremonies are held with alternating songs by The Thai every year.
10. Mrs Pha goes to the market twice a week. (HOW)
-> How often does Mrs Pha go to the market?