1. Everyone saw these men run into the shop
=> These men were seen to run into the shop.
2. I have some important things that I must tell you now
=> I have some important things to tell you now
3. When they heard that everything was all right, they were overjoyed
=> They were overjoyed to hear that everything was all right
4. We aren't allowed to ride motobike to school
=> They don't let us ride motobike to school.
5. Do you think studying English is necessary?
=> Do you think it is necessary to study English?
6. She appreciates your giving her a lift
=> It's very kind of you to give her a lift
7. Jane and I don't share interests
=> Jane has nothing in common with me.
1, He did it in the way ____ I should have done it myself
2,Mary wanted to go to New York by herself, but her father would not give his_____
3,Clara wanted to buy the coat, but it cost more than she could_____
4,"I found those book.Do you need them?"
"Oh yes,those are the ones I ______ earlier"
a,was looking for them
b,was looking for
c,am looking for
5,John lied ____ his mother about losing his watch
6,George had difficulty swimming across the lake,but he finally succeeded on his fourth____
7,I know I have seen that man before, I can't ____ where
8."how fast was the car traveling?"-"About 50_____"
a,kilometer per hours
b,kilometers per hour
c,kilometer per hour
d,kilometers per hours
9,it is important that every student _____attentive in class
1,The difference between libel and slander is that libel is printed while _______
a, slamder is spoken
b,spoken slamder is
c, slamder is spoken
d,is slamder spoken
2. Long before children are able to speak or understand a language,______ communicate through facial experessions and by making noises
3,Come early _____ you won't see anybody here
4,He is ten years senior _____ you
-> e. to
5,The girl was utterly shocked at the news of her brother's death. She ____ at her father's feet, but quicker than though,he reached out his arms and caught her to his own breast
a,would have fallen
6,It is better to love in vain ____ to love at all
7,I sometimes take John's coat instead of my own,because the two of them look so ____
8,The dustbins are ____ every Thursday
9.I was lucky enough to find a parking ____ outside the bank
10."Did you find out anything more about the accident?"
"If I do,you will be the first person ____"
a,who is known
b,who will know
XI. Put one of the adjectives in the box in the blanket.
1. She lives in one of the most fashionable parts of the city: there are lots of luxury shops there.
2. How annoying! The roads are crowded and I'm stuck in a traffic jam.
3. You can't stop here. Parking is forbidden in this street.
4. This city is very cosmopolitan(?), there are people here from all over the world.
5. The gallery downtown has regular exhibitions of modern art.
6. Nhieu Loc canal in Ho Cho Minh City is much less polluted than before.
4. The air in the country is polluted, but people like to live there.
-> Though the air in the country is polluted, people like to live there.
6. If you passed the exam, your parents would be very happy.
-> Because you don't pass the exam, your parents are not happy.
9. The movie was so funny that we couldn't stop laughing.
-> It was such a funny movie that we couldn't stop laughing.
10. No one could move the piano. It was very heavy.
-> The piano was too heavy for anyone to move.
The piano was too heavy to be moved.
IV. Clauses of Reason: Because, Because of, As a result of, As a consequence
11. Peter didn't go to school yesterday because he was sick.
-> Because of his sickness, Peter didn't go to school yesterday.
Because of the fact that Peter was sickness, he didn't go to school yesterday.
Because of being sick, Peter didn't go to school yesterday.
12. Mary went to bed early because she felt tired.
-> Because of feeling tired, Mary went to bed early.
Because of her tiredness, Mary went to bed early.
Because of the fact that Mary felt tired, she went to bed early.
13. She didn't go to the circus with Betty because she had a cold.
-> Because of having a cold, she didn't go to the circus with Betty.
Because of the fact that she had a cold, she didn't go to the circus with Betty.
14. Iohn succeeded in his exam because he worked hard.
-> Because of working hard, Iohn succeeded in his exam.
Because of the fact that John worked hard, he succeeded in his exam.
15. She stayed at home because her mother was sick.
-> Because of her mother's sickness, she stayed at home.
Because of the fact that her mother was sick, she stayed at home.
16. I like him because his father is kind to me.
-> Because of his father's kindness, I like him.
Because of the fact that his father is kind to me, I like him.
17. I couldn't do the test because it was difficult.
-> Because of its difficulty, I couldn't do the test.
Because of the fact that the test was difficult, I couldn't do the it.
VII. Hoàn thành những câu sau sử dụng cụm từ hay mệnh đề chỉ mục đích.
1. He climbed the tree in order to/so as to get a better view.
2. You should get up early so that/in order that you will have time to review your lesson.
3. Some young people like to earn their own living so that/in order that they will be independent of their parents.
4. We should do morning exercise regularly in order to/so as to improve our health.
1. He left the table in a hurry.
2. We all admired the beauty of the sunset.
3. He showed the price fluctuations in a statistical table.
4. I was almost overcome with (x) homesickness.
5. She lives in a little house in Cross Street.
6. They fell in (x) love with each other.
7. She works in a beauty salon.
8. Her performance seemed to me completely lacking in (x) feeling.
9. A tiger was often seen prowling around the village.
10. (x) Venomous snakes spit and hiss when they are cornered.