I/ Multiple choices
1. She hasn’t written to me……….
A. already B. never C. no longer D. yet
2. " What.........going to Hanoi tomorrow? "
A. to B. in C. about D. for
3. Hoa works very..........so she always gets good marks.
A. badly B. good C. hardly D. hard
4. The building was built .........1962 and 1969.
A. between B. from C. since D. for
5. This school..........in 1997
A. built B. is built C. was built D. has built
6. Of all my friends, Hoa is.............
A. the tallest B. the most tallest C. taller D. more taller
7. I take part ………….. most youth activities of my school.
A. in B. of C. on D. at
8. After a month, Hoa got used to ………………. in her new school.
A. study B. studying C. studied D. is studying
9. Jane and Jack stood in front of the mirror and looked at ........................ .
A. herself B. himself C. theirselves D. themselves
10. Hung is …………. to ride motorbike to school.
A. not old enough B. old not enough C. enough old not D. enough not old
11. We have learned English ………. nearly three years.
A. since B. for C. in D. in
12. Tom failed the exam ……………. his laziness.
A. so B. because C. because of D. instead of
13. I am looking forward to ………… you.
A. see B. seeing C. be seeing D. be seen
14. I’d rather you………..at home tonight.
A. stay B. stayed C. to stay D. staying
15. She spends fifteen minutes………..to school.
A. to walk B. walking C. walk D. walked
16. My career as a teacher began 14 years ago.
A. I have started teaching for 14 years now. B. For 14 years have I been a teacher.
C. I was a teacher for 14 years. D. I have been a teacher for 14 years now.
17. He drives more carelessly than he used to.
A. He doesn’t drive as carefully as he used to. B. He doesn’t drive carefully than he used to.
C. He doesn’t drive as carefully than he used to. D. He doesn’t drive as carefully he does.
18. In spite of heavy rain, my brother went to work.
A. In spite it rained heavily, my brother went to work. B. Although it rained heavily, my brother went to work.
C. Despite it rained heavily, my brother went to work. D. Although of heavy rain, my brother went to work.
19. She started learning English ten years ago.
A. She has not learnt English before. B. She has learnt English since ten years.
C. She has started learning English for ten years. D. She has learnt English for ten years.
20. We haven’t been to the concert for two years.
A. We never used to go to the concert. B. It’s two years since we went to the concert.
C. We didn’t go to the concert two years ago. D. We are used to going to the concert.
I’m interested in sports, especially athletics, and I run seven or eight kilometres every day. I particularly enjoy cross country running, where you have to run across fields, jump over streams and so on. While I’m running I think about all sorts of things, and at the end of a run I’m sometimes surprised to find that I’ve managed to solve a problem that was on my mind.
Next year, I’m going to try the London Marathon. It’s hard race 26 miles, or 42 kilometres-and you have to be tough to finish, but I very much want to do it. I worry a bit about getting too old, and I’d like to prove to myself that I’m still almost as fit as I was twenty years old.
I’m interested in mountaineering as well as running. I’ll never become an except climber, but I know what I’m doing in the mountains. I successfully completed a course in snow and ice climbing when I was younger; and I’ve done a series of easy climbs in the Alps during the last few years. My wife doesn’t share my interest in mountains. She agreed to go climbing with me once, but she found that she felt ill as soon as she got above 1,000 metres.
21. If you do cross country running, you must ____.
A. cross your country B. run along the coast C. cross your countryside D. cross fields, stream, etc …
22. At the end of a run the writer sometimes finds that ____.
A. he is able to get the answer to a problem B. he grows bigger
C. he feels better D. he gets a surprising problem
23. The writer wants to take part in the London Marathon because ____.
A. it helps to keep him fit B. he wants to do it before getting old
C. the reward is great D. it helps him solve his problems
24. The writer takes up mountaineering because ____.
A. he wants to become an expert climber B. he simply likes it
C. his wife is interested in it D. it is easy to practise
25. The writer’s wife is not interested in mountaineering for ____.
A. it doesn’t bring her any interest
B. she almost feels ill at the height of above 1,000 metres
C. She doesn’t want to climb together with her husband
D. The air is cold
III/ Cloze test
New York – The “ Big Apple”
Our arrival in New York was spectacular. It’s skyscrapers and the Statue of Liberty make a (26)_________sight. New York has a (27) _________of over seven million and it is probably the world’s most famous city. The inhabitants of the “Big Apple” come from many (28) _________countries. There are more nationalities in New York(29) _________in any other places on the earth. It is also has(30) _________tourists than any other city except
London, especially in the summer. (31) _________come from all(32) _________the world and have a wonderful time. There are so many (33) _________for them to get enthusiastic about – whether it’s some of the (34) _________museums in the world or the (35) _________little
streets of Greenwich Village.
26. A. sad B. beautiful C. horrible D. cold
27. A. attraction B. impression C. population D. people
28. A. same B. young C. old D. different
29. A. than B. rather C. of D. to
30. A. many B. much C. more D. lots
31. A. Visit B. Visitors C. Workers D. Goers
32. A. in B. from C. over D. of
33. A. attraction B. place C. sights D. area
34. A. good B. better C. best D. nicer
35.A. to charm B. charm C. charmed D. charming
IV/ Mistake identification
36. The company has loosened a lot of money recently.
A B C D
37. I painted my car myself so that I didn’t want to take it to the garage.
A B C D
38. The last time they was here was a long time ago.
A B C D
39. She’s used to learn hard to satisfy her parents and grandfather.
A B C D
40. She suggested that her mother go to the hospital for the lung cancer test.
A B C D
41. A. soundly B. mountainous C. foundation D. couch
42. A. convenient B. vegetable C. collecting D. generation
43. A. disturb B. burning C. return D. product
44. A. mention B. entertainment C. location D. negotiate
45. A. increasing B. basic C. sister D. pleasant
46. A. around B. describe C. harvest D. nomadic
47. A. awesome B. handsome C. troublesome D. according
48. A. festival B. terraced C. ethnic D. designing
49. A. instrument B. majority C. minority D. religion
50. A. conversation B. exhibition C. population D. complicated