A. Choose the best answer:
1. ________ having the best qualifications among all the applicants, Justin was not offered the job
.A. Although B. While C. In spite of D. Despite of
2. ________ the internet is very popular, many older people do not know how to use it
.A. However B. Nevertheless C. Even though D. Despite
3. _________ he wasn’t feeling very well, David was determined to take part in the inter-university athletics meet.A. Although B. While C. Where as D. yet
4. __________ what Megan prepared for the job interview, she didn’t pass it.
A. Despite of B. In spite of C. Though D. However
5. Bruce was not praised_________ he was a hard worker
.A. despite B. in spite of C. although D. no matter how
6. It looks like they are going to succeed_________ their present difficulties.
A. despite B. although C. in spite D. even though
7. Mary usually goes to parties. She likes meeting people and crowded places ________she is rather shy.
A. In spite of B. Even though C. On the contrary D. In other words
8. Ann: Have you decided to get the job? Terry: Yes, I’ve just decided. I’ll accept that job_________ it is not suitable with my major. It is not an interesting job, ________ the salary is very good.
A. although / but B. despite / and C. but / though D. yet / however
9. ________, he has continued to work on his thesis.
A. Although all these problems B. Even though there are problems
C. Despite of all these problems D. In spite of there are problems
10. In spite of ____________, he was determined to finish his work.
A. was seriously ill. B. be seriously ill C. his serious illness D. he was seriously ill
11. _______ some German and British management styles are similar, there are many differences betweenthem.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. although D. Despite
12. I could not eat _______ I was very hungry.
A. even though B. in spite C. despite D. despite of
13. In spite _______, the baseball game was not cancelled.
A. the rain B. of the rain B. it was raining D. there was a rain
14. _______ he had enough money, he refused to buy a new car.
A. In spite B. In spite of C. Despite D. Although
15. _______, he walked to the station.
A. Despite being tired B. Although to be tired C. In spite being tired D. Despite tired
16. The children slept well despite _______.
A. it was noise B. the noise C. of the noise D. noisy
17. She left him _______ she still loved him.
A. even if B. even though C. in spite of D. despite
18. _______ her lack of hard work, she was promoted.
A. In spite B. Even though C. In spite of D. Despite of
19. _______ they are brothers, they do not look alike.
A. Although B. Even C. Despite D. In spite of
20. Our new neighbors are quite nice _______ they are sometimes talkative
A. despite B. in spite of C. though D. as though