III. Give the correct form of the given words to complete thè following passage.A recent government report 21. (HIGH)______ the 22. (EXTEND) _____ towhich credit card is spiraling. Blame is 23. (PORTION)_______solely to the credit card companies, who, the report claims, will go to any 24. (LONG) ____ to attract new customers. 25. (ADD) _______, according to the report, they are responsible for encouraging existing customers to borrow more by raising their monthly limit. Certainly a recent advertising campaign by a major credit card company - which has since been 26. (DRAW) ______ - seems to bear these findings out.However, while the responsibility of the credit card companies is not 27.(CONSIDER) _____ , it is, in my opinion, unfair to lay all the blame in their shoulders. The 28. (MAJOR)______ of credit card users are able to make their 29. (PAY) ______ on time without difficulty. There will always be a 30. (MINOR) _____ of people in our society who are financially irresponsible. If they run up huge debts, it is really the credit card company’s fault?IV. Insert a suitable word in each blank to finish the following passage.One of the (31)_______in global warming is carbon monoxide. The more carbon monoxide in the atmosphere, the (32)_______the atmosphere is able to clean itself. The result is a warming of the atmosphere, the so-called global warming, and possibly ozone damage.Earlier, it was found that carbon monoxide was concentrated in the SouthernHemisphere, and could be (33) _______ to deforestation. Huge areas of forest and grasslands in South America and Africa have been burned, putting carbon monoxide into the (34) _______. Recently, (35) ________, the Southern Hemisphere has been found to be clean, while, the Northern Hemisphere is more polluted than expected.The latest research was done (36) _____ , the northern winter. The high levels in the Northern Hemisphere could be because of this. In winter carbon monoxide is destroyed more slowly. There are (37)_______more fires burned in winter, and (38) _______ industrial processes work harder. It could also reflect the ever-increasing (39) _______ of cars on the roads. Optimists hope that the reason why the North has overtaken the South as the major area of carbon monoxide is that at last the burning has stopped, or at least (40) _______ down.
VII. Complete the second sentence so that it has similar meaning to the first sentence, using the word given. Do not change the word given.
81. I cannot cope at all with my new job, and that bothers me. depth
I wish ................................. ............................................................ my new job.
82. I prefer to get value for money by staying at the theme park all day. worth
I’d rather I ........................................................................... by staying at thetheme park all day.
83. My new MP3 player was twice the price of your. expensive
Your MP3 player was ............................................................................. mine.
84. There is no evidence for this theory. foundation
The theory ................................................................................................
85. You need to watch Laura closely to make sure that she does her work properly. sharp
You need to ...................................................... to make sure that she does her work properly.
86. People are allowed to get in if they display the permit. condition
People are allowed to get in ...................................... they display the permit.
87. I suggest that you should not forget the dictionary next lesson. better
You ..................................................................... the dictionary next lesson.
88. Don't you think they should give out a new version of Mr. Simple. about
Don’t you think it’s .............................................................. out a new version of Mr. Simple.
89. Some people will do anything to win a girl’s heart. lengths
Some people will .............................................................. to win a girl’s heart.
90. I think they are largely responsible for what happened. small
I hold them ......................................................responsible for what happened.
VII. For each question below (71 - 80), write one word which can be used in both two sentences.71. It's time to record _____ about what really happened last night.
Go _______. Don't beat about the bush.
72. She is only 14 years old but her ______ age is 20 years old.Many ______ illnesses can be cured by special methods.
73. Hang really made an ________ on Thanh - He has not stopped talking about her.
Everyone except me is under _______ that the exam is on next Friday.
74. Dogs have a keen _________ of smell.
She cannot make _________ of the film because it's too complicated.
75.1 don’t understand what ___ Thang to leave his family.
The children really _______ when we were on holiday.
76. Our family always make a _______ of inviting the old woman next door to the Christmas party.
I know she’s your best friend, but it’s beside the _____ . You had no right toinviting her to our house without my permission.
77. These machine has the advantage of ______ on electricity, rather than petrol.
My father is _______ a campaign against hunting wild animals.
78. The problem of the conflict is essentially economic in _______,
She is a calm person by _______ but such things make her angry.
79. This is my last ________ , if next time 1 make a mistake, I'm out.
Let’s go through things again; I don't want to leave anything to ______.
80. I have not attended the class because I’ve been under the _______.
According to the _______ forecast, it’s going to rain.
VIII. Give the correct form of the given words to complete the following passage.For most of us, our 81. (RESIDE) _______ is a permanent structure. Whether a flat or a mansion, our 82. (ROUND) ______ are not built to move. For those who prefer a mobile lifestyle, but want more 83. (SOLID) than a tent can offer,there is an intriguing 84. (ARCHITECT) _______ solution: the shipping container.
Shipping containers are large mental boxes that 85. (MANUFACTURE) ______ use for transporting goods by ship. One of these containers can form the basis of a surprisingly 86. (SPACE) _____ dwelling, and one of which can be easily shipped to different parts of the world. It's easy to design the inside: wooden panels can be used to create separate areas and to make 87.(SHELF) ______ . More difficult is creating the 88. (STRUCTURE)_______ that all homes need to make them 89. (INHABIT) ________ connections to electricity and water. As long as your container isn't too far away from a90. (RESIDE)________ area, and as long as you are prepared to adapt to local conditions, it may well be possible to connect to local supplies. When you decide to move, simply pack up and rearrange for your house to be delivered to your destination!
cảm ơn các bạn đã tích cực giúp mình ạ! cảm ơn:)
lI. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of thefollowing seniances.6. 10 fit together the thousands of fragments of the broken vase was a long and ________ task.A. minute B. careful C. painstaking D. minuscule7. Has it ever occurred ________ you that those twins are quite different from each other in many ways?
A. to B with C. at D. on8. The plane was _______ by two hours because of bad weather.A. postponed B. put off C. delayed D. rearranged9. There has been some ________ in the relations between those two countries recently.
A. decomposition B. deterioration C. destitution D. depreciation
10. You must have ______ the examination before Friday, so bring your money to the office as soon as possible.A. passed B. entered for C. sat for D. enrolled for
11. He _______ out of the window for a moment and then went on working.A. glimpsed B. glanced C. regarded D. stared12. I have bought the dress because its color _______ that of the shoes.A. fits B. suites C. matches D. blended13. My mother opened the letter without _______ to read the address on the envelop.A. caring B. worrying C. concerning D. bothering14. If anyone has any _______ concerning the road plan, please contact the Plan Office.A. requests B. investigations C. queries D. demands15. Mum, Dad has just bought you a _______ of flowers.A. bush B. bunch C. bucket D. board16. A person leams a language best _______.A. when being brought up to it B. by being brought up to itC. by being brought among it D. when being brought into it17. The village is nothing out of ________, it’s just an average one.A. typical B. ordinary C. usual D. average18.1 do not have to pay for taxi myself because I put it on my company’s _____ accountA. cost B. value C. expense D. usage 19. The teacher was very annoyed that her student did not meet her deadlines, andshe warned him that his laziness and ________ could result in his bad mark.A. zeal B. fortitude C. procrastination D. carelessness20. Which police officer is _______ this week?A. on emergency B: on call C. on situation D. in condition21. I had been completely exhausted but I felt ________ after watching a funny movie.A. renovated B. refreshed C. renewed D. returned22. Tom always feels jealous _________ his brother because he is handsome and tall.A. in B. on C. at D. of23. The Prime Minister signed the contract ________ of the country.A. on account of B. on behalf of C. for reason D. by means of24. Tim was forced to leave his job but he got a generous golden ________.A. compensation B. handshake C. parachute D. capital25. Nghia has lost a lot of money these last years in the casino. He is a _______ gambler.
A. impulsive B. compelled C. impelled D. compulsive
VI. Insert a suitable word in each of the numbered blanks to complete thefollowing passage.Science as we know it today can be said to have started (61) _______ the ancientGreeks, with the (62) _______ of Herodotus, Aristotle and Theophrastus, all of whomlived from 300 to 500 years before Christ.Their findings were still valid two millenniums later, when science was reborn with the Renaissance following the Dark Ages when after the fall of Rome, roughly 1000 years after the Greeks (63) ______ their scientific theories, science and learning were forgotten during the ravages of war and disease which enveloped the whole of the then civilized world.Geology, even mineralogy, can be (64) _______ back to the Greeks. They recognized that the (65) ________ of the land and sea had changed and that a great length of time had been necessary for these changes. They believed the world was round, that the orbits of planets were also (66) _______ and they noticed that heavy objects fell faster (67) _____ light ones. So, more sciences than one can be said to have begun with the Greeks.Of course, all their learning might have disappeared for good during the six or seven centuries of the Dark Ages. But the Arabs were also (68)_______in science, and they were at the edge of the Dark Ages, so they were able to preserve the (69) _______ of the Greeks, translating some of their work and even building on it. When science finally took root again in the Middle Ages it was based very much on the (70)_______ and work of the Greeks.
Use the correct form of the words in brackets to complete the following sentences.
56. The famous singer retired in 2009, but now he’s making a ______by releasing a new CD. COME57. Mum’s fine after his operation, although she’s still s little _______on her feet. STEADY58. More ______, who caused the accident? IMPORTANT59. Nghia speaks Spanish______, That’s result of his practice. EXCEL60. Some people consider______to release the prisoners. SAFE61. The party has a number of _______ideas which should appeal tomany undecided voters. PROGRESS62. Environmentalists are _____ about the increasing use of pesticides. WORRY63. Bad marks are______results of lazy study. NECESSITY64. Bahasa is the . language of Malaysia. OFFICE65. The long-run civil war has______the whole country. STABLE
I. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the word that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the others in each of the following questions.1. A. moon B. school c. tool D. good2. A. animal B. blind c. activity D. fill3. A. bright B. laugh c. neighbor D. fought4. A. police B. opposite c. scold D. promote5. A. water B. wander c. with D. weekII. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following sentences. 6. Last month he experienced a serious accident which left him physically _____ .A. handicap B. handicappedc. handicapping D. handicaps7. She didn’t study abroad because she had to care _______ her elderly parents.A. in B. for c. up D. to8. The team of construction needs someone to ______ the role of expert very soon.A. make B. hold c. fill D. keep9. Teachers encourage students to ______ in social activities.A. enroll B. participate c. take D. fill out10. All the students in my college were asked ______ a questionnaire.A. to reply B. to answer c. to complete D. to respond11. This Sunday, we ______ up Kim Ma street.A. cleans B. are cleaning c. was cleaning D. have cleaned12. - "________?"-“What can I do for you?”A. Could you help me B. What do you needc. Do you need a favor D. Let me help you13. He _____ be a good father but he is ạ terrible husband.A. may B. should c. need D. must14. ______, you should take part in some programs such as help elderly people, collected used paper.A. If possible B. If necessary c. If certain D. If only15. Aid agencies are still _______________ the situation.A. assessing 6. testing c. estimating D. deducing16. Three Vietnamese fishermen were rescued after _______ at sea for nine months.A. sinking B. drifting c. wandering D. floating17. a ceremony was held in _______ of the politician who had passed away.A. commemoration B. remembrance c. recollection D. tribute18. With his ______ income, he could not support his family.A. meager B. scanty c. sparse D. minimum
19. My mother ______ on me whenever I snack before meals.A. complains B. scolds c. frowns D. chides20. When Hoang was small, he was a/an _____ child who was always asking questions.A. intelligent B. inquisitive c. naughty D. energetic21. For years, I have always held the _______ that art is for those who are less intelligent but I am wrong.A. notion B. idea c. intention D. reason
22. When small, I always ______ the events of the day to my grandmother.A. retold B. reacted c. recounted D. reported23. Linh is _____ good role model for her younger brother.A. the B. a c. an D. ∅24. The rich man owns a ______ of cars.A. fleet B. set c. group D. chest25. “Please______ up the meat foe me", Mrs White told the butcher.A. polish B. chop c. wash D. cook
IV. Give the correct form of the given words to complete the following sentences.36. There are many areas in Vietnam heavily dependent on ________ industry. TOUR37. They grew up in the same______. NEIGHBOR38. -“Are you nervous?” - “Only ___________. SLIGHT39. I’m doing some ______ works at the hospital. Do you want to join? VOLUNTEER40 My teachers always give me much ______. ENCOURAGE41. Students at my college persuade their family to collect wastepaper for ________ program. RECYCLE
42. It’s ______ that he does not want to see his son. NATURE43. The company had a ______ sales last year. WORLD44; The______population will develop a country. EDUCATE45. People need to fill a written______ form for membership. APPLY
I. Choose the word in each group that has the underlined part pronounced differently from the rest.1. A. permanent B. facility c. information D. abandon2. A. plentiful B. entertain c. electric D. negotiate3. A. galaxy B. general c. agency D. genetic4. A. enough B. cough c. though D. laugh5. A. closing B. slavery c. discuss D. strainII. Choose the correct answer A, B, c, or D to complete the following sentences.6. Nghiá practices English every day______improve his English.A. as a result B. in order that c. so as to D. in spite of7. He______the assignment to teacher yet.A. didn't submit B. hasn’t submittedc. doesn't submit D. isn’t submitted .8. You live in this area so you______know it well.A. must B. can c. could D. may9. Our family has just______our parents' 20th anniversary wedding.A. held B. celebrated c. praised D. performed10. Did you send a postcard ______ your mother on the occasion of VietnamTeachers' Day?A. with B. to c. at D. on11. We are trying to _______ together exactly what went wrong.A. part B. piece c. think D. guess12. All employees are completely kept_______about how bad the situation is.A. in the shade B. in the shadow c. in the dark D. in dull13. What we have to do now is to _______calm and try to think reasonably.A. maintain B. remain c. suffer D. sustain14. There is a lot of traffic so we are trying to find an_______route.A. alternate B. alternation c. alternative D. alternated15. The internet is a vast______of computers, all connected together.A. network B. console c. resource D. supply16. She has been depressed all day but she started to ______after heard that she was promoted.A. shout up B. cheer up c. take up D. break up
17. The headmaster was accused of _____ the truth.A. reforming B. revising c. distorting D. restating10. The new painting looks a bit out of ________in the bed room.A. space B. question c. room D. place19. Thao is a(n)_____ business consultant; companies hire her to solve particular problems they are facing.A. available B. unoccupied c. freelance D. free20. Yesterday Daisy was walking along the street, when someone on a motorbike ________ her handbag.A. gasped B. clenched c. grabbed D. took
V. Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, c, or D to indicate the correct word(s) for each of the numbered blanks.Ho Chi Minh City, in Vietnam, is a fascinating (41) ______ for travelers toSoutheast Asia. It is (42)______on Mekong River. It was once an important trading center for the French in Southeast Asia. The (43)______of French culture can still be felt. Many people, (44)______the older generations, learned French in school and still can (45) ______ it very well. Some café serve French-style bread and pastries in Ho Chi Minh City. Expensive hotels and restaurants (46) French food. Many of the buildings in the city are built (47)______French style. The Vietnamese and the French (48)_____. The French eventually left the country. There are museums and monuments (49)______the country’s long - and often bloody - history. If you are (50)______a unique city to visit in Southeast Asia, Ho Chi Minh is an attractive choice.41. A. destination B. target c. attraction D. selection42. A. placed B. located c. set D. built43. A. effect B. influence c. impression D. consequence44. A. generally B. especially c. commonly D. specially45. A. state B. talk c. speech D. speak46. A. serve B. have served c. serves D. are serving47. A. in B. of c. on D. by48. A. fought B. allied c. conflicted D. opposed49. A. documentation B. documenting c. document D. documents50. A. taking after B. searching up c. looking for D. hunting for
VI. Insert a suitable preposition/ article to complete the following passage.What if you want to talk right now (51)________a friend who lives far away? (52)________answer is simple. You pick up your telephone and press some buttons. Next, you hear (53)________ringing sound—one, two, three rings. Then you hear your friend's voice say, “Hello.” Making a phone call seems so easy. But did you ever think (54) _____ what makes it possible?When you pick up your phone, it instantly hooks up with (55) ________ vast,worldwide telephone network. The network has millions (56)________miles of wire. It has cables that run (57) ________the oceans. It has optical (glass) fibers as thin (58) _____ "a hair, it has satellites that orbit high above Earth. It has powerful computers that keep track (59)_________everything on the network, including the call (60)________your friend. The word “hello” might have zipped through wires, shot up;to a satellite, or zoomed through a cable under the sea before it got to your ear.
VII. Give the correct form of the given words to complete the following sentences.61. Smoking is______to your health and other people's. DETRIMENT62. Toan got in a lot of trouble for______climbing the wall. PERSIST63. Thirteen is thought to be a(n)______number. LUCK64. The government cannot be______to public opinion. DIFFER65. With_______made in transportation, people have more options when moving around from place to place. IMPROVE 66. The______town is very popular among tourists. BUSTLE67. ______have studied the movements of the earth's plates and predicted an earthquake will occur in this area in the near future. SEISMOLOGY68. There is a(n)_______bond between parents and children. BREAK69. The 1000th anniversary of Thang Long is _____ of Vietnamese culture to international friends. INTRODUCE70. The end of the 19th century was a time that saw many______. REVOLT
VII. Mark the letter A, B, c, or D to show the underlined part that needs correction.61. We travelled away from (A) the city and towards (B) the countryside where several classical houses (C) caught our eyes (D).62. My brother is an archaeologist who has been (A) travelling around the world on search of (B) historical (C) remains (D).63. The chauffeur (A) who was hired to drive Mr Williams around daily (B) was reprimanded (C) for not picking him (D) on time.
64. The students are told solving (A) the same type of sums many times to ensure (B) that they able (C) to do them correctly when they encounter (D) them.
65. Today’s farmers have increased (A) milk production greatly (B) through improved (C) methods of breeding, feeding, and manage (D) dairy cattle.
66. Despite of (A) many attempts to introduce a (B) universal language, not ably (C) Esperanto and idiom Neutral, the effort has met with very little success (D).
67. The modem detective story, in which (A) a detective solves a crime (B) by discovering and interpretation (C) evidence is considered to have (D) originated with Edgar Allan Poe’s “The murders in the Rue Morgue” in 1841.68. Orchestrating musical (A) works requires a understanding (B) of the range and characteristics (C) of each instrument (D).
69. The black leopard is very (A) dark that its spots (B) are (C) difficult to see (D).
70. The astronomy (A) is the oldest science (B), but it continues (C) to be at (D) the forefront of scientific thought.