Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the correct answer.
21. If you want to join this club, you must_______ this application form.
a. make up b. write down c. do up d. fill in
22. The water company will have to ____ off water supplies while repairs to the pipes are carried out.
a. take b. cut c. set d. break
23. Come_______, children! Get your coats on or you'll be late for school.
a. along b. to c. across d. over
24. She tried to prevent the dog_______ running into the road.
a. to b. for c. from d. against
25. The doctor told him to keep_______ sweets and chocolate to lose weight.
a. at b. up c. back d. off
26. Tom was slow to catch_______, but gradually he began to understand.
a. in b. on c. away d. out
27. I haven’t time to speak to him now, you'll have to put him_______
a. off b. back c. aside d. away
28. You know I'll always stand_______ you if you are in trouble.
a. for b. up c. by d. with
29. I disapprove_______ people smoking in public places.
a. on b. at c. with d. of
30. She found it is hard to _______ up to the fact that she would never be famous.
a. come b. face c. get d. keep
31. For the first few minutes she was leading the race, then she began to fall_______
a. out b. through c. back d. off
32. The job offer was too good for him to turn_______
a. down b. out c. off d. away
33. His son's death was a terrible shock and it took him a long time to _______ it.
a. get round b. come through c. go over d. get over
34. Please come_______ and see us some time-you're always welcome.
a. to b. round c. about d. away
35. She put _______ speaking to him as long as possible.
a. over b. away c. off d. back
36. He filled in the necessary forms and _______ for the job.
a. appealed b. asked c. requested d. applied
37. She went _______ a bad cold just before Christmas.
a. down with b. in for c. over d. through
38. They had never come_______ such a beautiful little village before.
a. at b. across c. off d. long
39. When the tenants failed to pay their bills, the authorities decided to cut_______ the gas supply to the flats.
a. out b. down c. off d. across
40. The doctor advised me not to take_______ so much work in future.
a. to b. over c. after d. on