the words in the box into two groups.
walked looked stopped acted wanted disappointed
volunteered bored convinced terrified appeared laughed
amazed fascinated starred washed shocked interested
/t/ /d/ /id/
II. Find the word which has a different sound in the underlined part.
1. A. loved B. liked C. wished D. gripped
2. A. safely B. pavement C. animation D. female
3. A. bored B. amazed C. excited D. enjoyed
4. A. filled B. opened C. played D. wanted
5. A. ended B. shocked C. laughed D. missed
III. Find which word does not belong to each group.
1. A. tired B. exciting C. bored D. exhausted
2. A. film B. cartoon C. cinema D. comedy
3. A. director B. editor C. actor D. comedy
4. A. science fiction B. animation C. documentary D. romantic
5. A. shocking B. acting C. entertaining D. exciting
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. Choose the best one (A, B, C or D) to complete the sentence.
1. The movie on TV last night made me .
A. bore B. boring C. bored D. boredom
2. I was to learn that the director of that gripping film has won the first prize.
A. interest B. interests C. interested D. interesting
3. We were with the latest film of that director.
A. Satisfy B. satisfying C. satisfactory D. satisfied
4. They were very disappointed her acting.
A. of B. with C. in D. on
5. Lets go to the Victor Cinema. I’m sure you'll find the film .
A. excites B. excite C. excited D. exciting
6. Mr. Beans Holiday is a film - I was laughing from beginning to end.
A. hilarious B. violent C. scary D. moving
7. We are really about going to the cinema tonight.
A. excited B. interested C. amused D. pleased
8. The film was so . However, my father saw it from beginning to end.
A. interesting B. exciting C. boring D. fascinating
9. We found the plot of the film .
A. bored B. boring C. interested D. acting
10. The cinema changed completely at end of 1920s.
A. an – the B. the - a C. a - the D. the - the
11. I enjoyed the film on TV yesterday evening nobody in my family liked it.
A. although B. yet C. in spite of D. so
12. Last night, I didn’t go to bed early being very tired.
A. despite of B. in spite of C. although D. because
13. I thrillers to action films.
A. like B. prefer C. would rather D. enjoy
14. We like the film very much. The are unforgettable and the plot is gripping.
A. characters B. acting C. style D. action
15. A is a film that tries to make audiences laugh.
A. Horror B. sci-fi C. comedy D. documentary
II. Choose the correct word.
1. We were all (horrifying/horrified) when we heard about the disaster.
2. It’s sometimes (embarrassing/embarrassed) when you have to ask people for money.
3. Are you (interesting/interested) in football?
4. I enjoyed the football match. It was quite (exciting/excited).
5. It was a really (terrifying/terrified) experience. Afterwards everybody was very
6. I had never expected to be offered the job. I was really (amazing/amazed) when I was offered it.
7. The kitchen hadn’t been cleaned for ages. It was really (disgusting/ disgusted).
8. Do you easily get (embarrassing/embarrassed)?
III. Give the correct form of the words given to complete the sentence.
1. This film made a strong on me. IMPRESS
2. Have you ever seen this comedy? It’s really . FUN
3. The film was though they spent millions of SUCCEED
dollars making it.
4. I love action films. The/re very . EXCITE
5. Big Ben Down is about a group of who take TERROR
control of Big Ben.
6. We were with the service at the cinema. SATISFY
Everything was terrible.
7. There are always cowboys in a . WEST
8. The film is a big . It is boring from DISAPPOINT
beginning to end.
9. A drama is a play in a theatre or on television or radio, or plays ACT
10. The film is about two hijackers who to blow THREAT
up the plane.
IV. Choose the correct word.
1. I was disappointing/disappointed with the film. I had expected it to be better.
2. Are you interesting/interested in football?
3. The football match was very exciting/excited. I enjoyed it.
4. It’s sometimes embarrassing/embarrassed when you have to ask people for money.
5. Do you easily get embarrassing/embarrassed?
6. I had never expected to get the job. I was really amazing/amazed when I was offered it.
7. She has really learnt very fast. She has made astonishing/astonished progress.
8. I didn’t find the situation funny. I was not amusing/amused.
9. Why do you always look so boring/bored? Is your life really so boring/bored?
10. He’s one of the most boring/bored people I’ve ever met. He never stops talking and he never says
V. Complete the sentences. Use “although” + a sentence from the box.
I didn’t speak the language
I had never seen her before
It was quite cold
I’d met her twice before
he has a very important job
we don’t like them very much
the heating was on
we’ve known each other a long time
1. Although he has a very important job, he isn’t particularly well-paid.
2. , I recognized her from a photograph.
3. She wasn’t wearing a coat .
4. We thought we’d better invite them to the party .
5. , I managed to make myself understand.
6. , the room wasn’t warm.
7. I didn’t recognize her .
8. We’re not very good friends, .
1. Although Tom was a poor student, he studied very well.
In spite of
2. Mary could not go to school because she was sick.
3. Although the weather was bad, she went to school on time.
4. My mother told me to go to school although I was sick.
In spite of
5. Because there was a big storm, I stayed at home.
6. Tom was admitted to the university although his grades were bad.
7. Although she has a physical handicap, she has become a successful woman.
8. In spite of his good salary, Tom gave up his job.
9. Though he had not finished the paper, he went to sleep.
In spite of
10. In spite of the high prices, my daughter insists on going to the movies.
I. Find the word which has a different sound in the underlined part
1. A. those B. they C. than D. Thanksgiving
2. A. cranberry B. lantern C. gather D. apricot
3. A. abundant B. travelling C. character D. biogas
4. A. diverse B. drive C. invention D. crime
5. A. designs B. sails C. pedals D. pollutes
6. A. perform B. end C. festival D. elephant
7. A. cake B. celebrate C. racing D. candle
8. A. desert B. held C. prefer D. celebrate
II. Find which word does not belong to each group.
1. A. joyful B. funny C. prefer D. happy
2. A. party B. elephant C. camp D. desert
3. A. festival B. local C. traditional D. cultural
4. A. harvest B. rice god C. feast D. dancing
5. A. artist B. dancer C. celebration D. performer
6. A. ham B. flowers C. tomatoes D. Spain
7. A. shopping B. exciting C. fascinating D. amazing
8. A. costumes B. pumpkin C. Halloween D. turkey
9. A. celebrate B. attend C. held D. organize
10. A. tradition B. celebration C. festival D. dishes
III. Find the opposite meaning words.
1. cheap 6. far
2. difficult 7. careful
3. happy 8. old
4. good 9. similar
5. noisy 10. interviewer ______________
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. Find the word or phrases does not belong to each group.
1. A. dishes B. celebration C. tradition D. festival
2. A. Halloween B. turkey C. pumpkin D. costumes
3. A. tomatoes B. flowers C. carrots D. potatoes
4. A. feast B. Rice God C. dancing D. harvest
5. A. tent B. picnic C. camp D. party
II. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets.
1. There are many differences between the two communities. (culture)
2. Streets are decorated with lights and red banners. (colour)
3. There were lively New Year all over the town. (celebrate)
4. It is in America to eat turkey on Thanksgiving Day. (tradition)
5. Vietnam’s New Year is according to the Lunar calendar. (celebrate)
6. What forms of do you participate in during the festival? (entertain)
7. Her eyes were wide with when she heard the news. (excite)
8. The Chinese New Year marks the of spring and the start of the Lunar New Year.
III. Choose the correct answers A, B, C or D.
1. The Elephant Race Festival in DakLak is a race between elephants that are ridden by their .
A. own B. owning C. owner D. owners
2. The Samba Parade in Rio Carnival has thousands of samba from various samba schools.
A. perform B. performance C. performer D. performers
3. People in Cannes take the Cannes Film Festival a very serious way.
A. in B. at C. on D. with
4. The biggest prize of the Cannes Film Festival is the Palme d’Or, which is given the best film.
A. of B. to C. with D. for
5. The festival every year at the end of August.
A. takes B. takes place C. occur D. held
6. La Tomatina on the last Wednesday of August every year.
A hold B. held C. is held D. be held
7. Villagers voluntarily contribute money and other thing to the festival.
A. open B. celebrate C. remember D. set
8. A lot of dancers go to Rio de Janeiro to the Rio Carnival.
A. play B. take C. attend D. follow
9. In La Tomatina, people get to throw tomatoes at .
A. themselves B. once C. together D. each other
10. Which do you think are festivals?
A. season B. harvester C. artistic D. music
11. People of minorities in Phu Yen celebrate Hoi Mua Festival every March.
A. native B. local C. ethnic D. village
12. The atmosphere is felt around all the village.
A. festive B. festival C. air D. tradition
13. A lot of cultural and activities are held as part of the Flower festival in DaLat.
A. arts B. artist C. artistic D. art
14. Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Light, is the holiday of the year in India.
A. more important B. most important C. importance D. most importance
15. The Academy Awards, commonly as The Oscars, are the most famous film awards in the
A. know B. knew C. known D. be known
16. It is to see elephants racing in the Elephant Race Festival in DakLak.
A. amaze B. amazing C. amazed D. amazement
17. La Tomatina is a festival to celebrate the tornado harvest.
A. season B. seasonal C. year D. annually
18. People put pumpkin outside the homes during Halloween.
A. lanterns B. lights C. neon signs D. bulbs
19. Everybody has gone to the festival.
A. music B. musical c. musicians D. musician
20. The of the Rio Carnival is the Samba Parade.
A. importance B. highlight C. best D. performance
21. La Tomatina is a seasonal to celebrate the tomato harvest.
A. celebration B. parade C. festival D. game
22. do you like about La Tomatina?
A. What B. Which C. When D. Why
23. Do you anything about music festival called Burning Man?
A. like B. know C. understand D. have
24. do people do at Burning Festival?
A. Why B. Which C. What D. How
25. often is Burning Festival held? - It’s held every year.
A. Which B. When C. What D. How
26. does the teacher say La Tomatina sounds unusual?
A. What B. When C. Why D. How
27. festival do you choose? - I choose Elephant Race Festival.
A. What B. How C. Which D. When
28. He thinks elephants are animals.
A. fascinated B. fascinating C. fascinates D. fascinate
29. It must be amazing elephants racing.
A. see B. to see C. seeing D. saw
30. La Tomatina is in Spain, in a small town.
A. holds B. hold C. holding D. held
I. Put question for the underlined part of each sentence:
1. Sarah left two hours ago.
2. She is watching Tom and Terry.
3. She likes watching comedy.
4. I felt terrified before my last Maths test.
5. She felt entertained when she watched a gripping film.
6. It is 10 kilometers from here to ACB bank.
7. I have known Marie for nine years.
8. Yes, they used to be friends at the university.
II. Match column A with the column B.
1. How do you go to school?
2. How far is it from here to your house?
3. How old are you?
4. How are you today?
5. How is your new house different from your old one?
6. What is your middle name?
7. Where do you live?
8. Who are you talking to?
9. Why are you unhappy?
10. Which class are you in?
a. Pretty good.
b. Because I miss my family.
c. It’s Van.
d. I walk.
e. Miss Ngoc.
g. About 7km.
h. It’s bigger.
i. 78 Hoang Hoa Tham Street
j. 13 years old.
III. Choose the sentence that has the same meaning as the first.
1. He drives more carelessly than he used to.
A. He doesn’t drive as carefully as he used to.
B. He doesn’t drive carefully than he used to.
C. He doesn’t drive as carefully than he used to.
D. He doesn’t drive as carefully he does.
2. No one in our club can speak English as fluently as Mai.
A. Mai speaks English more fluently than no one in our club.
B. Mai is the worst English speaker in our club.
C. Mai speaks English as fluently as other people in our club.
D. Mai speaks English the most fluently in our club.
3. No one in the class is taller than Dave.
A. Dave is taller student in the class.
B. Dave is the tallest student in the class.
C. Dave is the taller student in the class.
D. Dave is tallest student in the class.
4. In spite of all our efforts, we failed in the final match.
A. Although we tried very hard, we failed in the final match.
B. We made all our efforts so that we could gain success in the final match.
C. Whatever efforts we had made, we weren’t able to win in the final match.
D. We failed in the final match as a result of all our great efforts.
5. In spite of heavy rain, my brother went to work.
A. In spite it rained heavily, my brother went to work.
B. Although it rained heavily, my brother went to work.
C. Despite it rained heavily, my brother went to work.
D. Although of heavy rain, my brother went to work.