THE BIRTH OF THE T-SHIRT
The T-shirt, or at least the T-shirt as we know it, was born in the theatre. When Tennessee William's play A Streetcar Named Oesire opened in New York in December 1947, a young actor (1) ____________ Marlon Brando went (2) __________ stage wearing a (3) _________ of blue jeans and a bright, white, capped-sleeve T-shirt. It was the first time the T-shirt had been seen publicly as anything (4) ____________ an item of underwear and it set a fashion trend that was to last through (5) _____________ the end of the century. The idea for the T-shirt came (6) __________ Brando himself. He had worn one at rehearsals for the play. The director was so impressed by the look that was created that he asked Brando to wear the shirt in the play itself. Brando may have seen the shirt being advertised by the American company Sears Roebuck. They had decided to market the shirt (7) ___________ a fashionable garment in its (8) ____________ right, rather than just something to be worn (9) __________ warmth beneath a denim workshirt (10) ___________ an army uniform. It was Brando, however, who popularized it, especially with the release of the film version of Streetcar in 1951. A short leather jacket completed the look that was to be adopted by teenage rebels in many countries for decades afterwards.
1. Because the residents had worked so diligent to renovate the old building, the manager had a party. 2. John’s wisdom teeth were troubling him, so he went to a dental surgeon to see about having them pull. 3. Time spends very slowly when you are waiting for a bus to arrive. 4. When she was asked for her opinion on the course, she said it had been a waist of time. 5. Hardly the plane had landed when Adam realized that he had left the file that he needed at his office.
6. I have no appetite and I am lethargic. I've been feeling under _________ for ages.
A pair B par C stress D threat
7. I think having a beer during a meeting with your boss is clearly _________ the mark.
A. overlooking B. overreaching C. overstepping D. overseeing
8. The new soap opera on Channel 3 _________ the depths in terms of tastelessness.
A plumbs B reaches C fills D achieves
9. We’ll keep you _________ on any further changes in the examination specifications.
A noticed B announced C mailed D posted
10. We must be sure to make the right decision because there is a lot at _________.
A. range B. stake C. chance D. expectation
11. Cuc Phuong National Park __________ over 200 square kilometers of rainforest.
A. contains B. gets C. hold D. covers
12. An interesting ______of this park is Orphanage, where orphaned animals are taken care of.
A. advantage B.feature C.area D.zone
13. A child who has lost one or both of his parents by death is called ________ child.
A. an abandoned B. an orphan C. a homeless D.orphanage
14.The _________ has threatened many of animals in this park.
A.rainforest B. population C. increase D.contamination
15. They went camping in the beautiful _________ of the rainforest.
A.wildlife B. wildness C.wild D.wilderness
16. This park was _________ before World War II
A. set B. located C. established D. stationed
17. We were very _________at his success.
A. surprised B.interested C.keen D.fond
18. One species is dependent __________ another of survival.
A. on B. to C. of D.at
19. My home village is ____________ 40 kilometers north of the capital..
A. located B. held C. laid D. surrounded
20. The cattle drank from a river polluted with toxic chemicals..
A.waste B. colorless C. odorless D. poisonous
21. We _________ to the beach yesterday if the sun had been shining.
A.will go B.would go C.would have gone D. had gone
22. If he _________ up earlier, he ________ to work on time.
A. got/ would get B. had got / would get
C. would get/ got D. would have got / had got
23. We wouldn’t have been to the cinema_________we hadn’t had ticket.
A. if B. unless C. because of D. in spite of
24. What ________ if you had met him yesterday?
A. did you do B. would you do C. would you have done D. will you do
25. They _________ the farm if they _________ enough money.
A. had enlarged/ would have had B. would enlarge/ had had
C. enlarged/ would have D. would have enlarged/ had had
Choose the underlined part (A,B,C or D) that needs correcting.
26. He wouldn’t have known the news if you had told him.
A B C D
27. I had gone to see you if I’d known what you were ill.
A B C D
28. My brother would buy a sports car if he don’t have the money.
A B C D
29. If I have free time next Sunday, I would visit my grandmother.
A B C D
30. If I were you, I would have forgotten about buying a new car.
A B C D
Choose one sentence that best rewrites the root one.
31. He didn’t work hard, so he failed the exam.
A. If he worked hard, he wouldn’t fail the exam.
B. If he hadn’t worked hard, he would have failed the exam.
C. He would have passed the exam if he had worked hard.
D. He had passed the exam if he would have worked hard.
32. I was tired because I stayed up late last night.
A. If I hadn’t stayed up late at night, I wouldn’t have been tired.
B. I hadn’t been tired if I wouldn’t have stayed up lat.
C. If I had stayed up late at night, I would have been tired.
D. I wouldn’t be tired If I didn’t stay up late at night.
33. The shirt didn’t fit me so I didn’t buy it.
A. If the shirt fit me, I will buy it.
B. If the shirt fitted me, I would buy it.
C. If the shirt had fitted me, I would have bought it.
D. I didn’t buy the shirt due to it didn’t fit me.
34. He didn’t know French so he didn’t go to Paris for his holiday.
A. Unless he knew French, he wouldn’t go to Paris for his holiday.
B. If he knew French, he would have gone to Paris for his holiday.
C. If he had gone to Paris, he would have known French.
D. Had he known French, he would have gone to Paris for his holiday.
35. He worked lazily so he was sacked.
A. If he hadn’t worked lazily, he wouldn’t have been sacked.
B. If he worked lazily, he would be sacked.
C. Unless he had worked lazily, he would have been sacked.
D. If he hadn’t worked lazily, he would have been sacked.
36. He didn’t take any medicine so he feels worse now.
A. If he had taken the medicine, he would have felt better now.
B. If he had taken the medicine, he would feel better now.
C. If he took the medicine, he would feel better now.
D. Unless he took the medicine, he wouldn’t feel better now
37. We want to buy that house but we don’t have enough money.
A. Unless we have enough money, we won’t buy that house.
B. We would have bought that house if we had had enough money.
C. If we had enough money, we would have bought that house.
D. If we had enough money, we would buy that house.
38. They couldn’t go home because it stormed terribly.
A. If it hadn’t stormed terribly, they could have gone home.
B. If it didn’t storm terribly, they would go home.
C. It stormed terribly so that they couldn’t go home
D. They couldn’t go home due to terribly storm.
39. Without Jack’s help, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
A. Jack hadn’t helped, but I could move the table.
B. Jack didn’t help, so I hadn’t been able to move the table.
C. If Jack hadn’t helped, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
D. Had Jack helped, I wouldn’t have been able to move the table.
40. You wouldn’t have made many mistakes if you had been careful.
A. You didn’t make many mistakes because you weren’t careful.
B. You made many mistakes because you were careful.
C. You were careful, so you didn’t make many mistakes.
D.You weren’t careful, so you made many mistakes.
Read the following passage and choose best answer ( A,B,C or D ) for each blank.
The ostrich is the (41) _______ bird in the world, and an adult can be more than ninety kilos. Most wild ostriches live in southern Africa, but there are only a (42)_________of them left. Like all birds, ostriches have wings, (43)________ they cannot fly. They use their wings to help them (44)_________when they are running. Ostriches can run very fast , from sixty-five to ninety kilometers an hour, so it is very difficult for (45)_________ animals to catch them.
41. A. large B. larger C. largest D. most largest
42. A.few B. little C. lot D. many
43. A. or B. and C. but D. except
44. A. direct B. change C. alter D. turn
45. A. another B. other C. others D. one other
Read the passage below and choose one best answer for each question.
Parks in our country are wonderful playgrounds and millions of people visit them every year. There
are places where you can camp without charge or you can rent rooms in a hotel. You can take a long walk in the forests, take boat trips, or climb mountains. You are not allowed to hunt in the park, so there are many wild animals. You can fish in the streams of most of the parks. The park keepers sometimes go with the visitors on walks to tell them about the animals, plants, and mountains. They also have programmes and talks at the campgrounds and in the hotels so that people can learn all about the park and the things that are in it.
46. We can camp in the parks _____________.
A. without having to pay anything B. with a small fee
C. if we rent a room in a hotel D. if we visit them every year
47. Which of the following activities is not mentioned in the passage?
A. go for a walk B. go climbing
C. go skiing D. go by boat
48. The word “ streams ” in line 4 is closest in meaning to ______________.
A. small rivers B. ponds C. lakes D. big sea
49. The word “ them ” in line 5 refers to ______________.
A. parks B. visitors
C. park keepers D. animals
50. Which of the following statements is NOT true?
A. There are many animals in the parks.
B. We can walk and have talks with the park keepers.
C. We are allowed to fish in most of the parks.
D. We can hunt in the parks.
OBJECTIVE PRACTICE TEST OF UNIT 11
Choose the word that has the underlined syllable pronounced different from the others.
1. A. worked B. hoped C. watched D. lived
2. A. invader B. destroy C. spend D. Soldier
3. A. nature B. toxic C. plant D. Contain
4. A. played B. missed C. called D. moved
5 A. nation B. tourist C. study D. return
Choose the word whose main stress is placed different from the others.
6. A. ethnic B. explore C. orphan D. fauna
7. A. dependent B. survival C. minority D. recognize
8. A. temperature B. chemical C. habit D. location
9. A. abandon B. national C. wilderness D. butterfly
10 .A. establish B. disaster C. tropical D. dependent
Hãy hoàn tất câu thứ hai để có nghiac tương đương như câu thứ nhất
1. He said to her, "Would you like to have dinner with me?''
-> He invited her.........................................
2. My mother said to me, ''You may take my car if you like''
-> My mother........................
3. They are pulling down the old theatre at the moment
-> The old theatre....................................
4. I'm sorry I haven't got time to go with them
-> I wish..........................
5. She last visited me last year
-> She hasn't..........................
6. Let's tell them the truth
7. He spent four months writing that novel
-> It took......................................
8. He is so weak that he can't carry the package
-> He isn't........................
9. This exercise is more difficult than that one
-> That exercise isn't......................
10. He didn't go on an excursion because he didn't have time
Hãy dùng đúng thì của những động từ trong ngoặc
1. Listen! The wind (blow).........................very hard outside
2. I (read).......................the newspaper when he telephoned me
3. She (fall)....................while she (get)................off the bus yesterday
4. At seven o'clock last night, we (have)......................................dinner in a restaurant
5. What you (do)......................when she called you?
- I (talk)...........to my old friend
6. He says that he (never, travel).................by bus station
7. The plane (land).............in Washington in an hour?
8. My mother (see)...........that movie several times
9. She (already, record).....................the result of the experiment
10. You (ever, be)....................to the USA?
- I (be)..........................there two years ago
Hãy khoanh từ được in đậm dưới đây không đúng, sửa lại
1. We must try / to get home in time / on dinner
2. The windows of / that house / haven't cleaned / for months
3. He is tired of / to work / in the same place every day
4. She is / used to / get up early in the morning
5. I told him to hurry or / we / will be late
6. How long does it take you to go there on bus
7. If he came here now we will meet / all of us
8. I would visit her if I had known / where she was living
9. Would you mind / not to / take my books away
10. She said she was / more lucky / than all her friendly
Hãy chọn một từ đúng để điền vào những câu sau:
1. The laptop......................is on the table is hers
A. Who B. what C. which D. whom
2. She was absent ..................school yesterday
A, in B. from C. at D. to
3. He is very successful ............... his job
A. on B. at C. in D. of
4. Your father works very hard,...............................................
A. are you? b. doesn't he? C. isn't he? D. does he?
5. He said that his father..................a motorbike the following day
A. had bought B. will buy C. bought D. would buy
6. It is dangerous.........................fast in the center of the city
A. to drive B. drives C, driving D. drove
7. It is difficult for him to get used............................with chopsticks
A. to eat B. to eating C. eats D. has eaten
8. She.......................with her mother in California since last year
A. has lived b. is living C. lives D. lived
9. Her son.....................to the kindergarten every morning
A. takes B. is taking C. has taken D. is taken
10. If the weather.....................fine, we'd have stayed at home
A. wasn't B. weren't C. hadn't been D. wasn't been