1.Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the rest in each of the following questions.
1. A. failure B. injure C. sculpture D. measure
2. A. telescope B. folk C. nomad D. companion
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word that differs from the other three in the position of primary stress in each of the following questions.
3. A. solar B. career C. complex D. fiction
4. A. orphanage B. versatile C. abundant D. discipline
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
5. Neptune is________ any planet except Pluto.
A. to be far from the Sun B. far from the Sun being
C. farther than the Sun is D. farther from the Sun than
6. I didn't really want to play football on Saturday, but since there was no one else to take my place I couldn't really________ it.
A. go over B. get out of C. turn down D. take off
7. He retired early________ ill health.
A. on behalf of B. ahead of C. on account of D. in front of
8. I had no________ that the unemployment rate was so high in this country.
A. knowledge B. idea C. question D. understanding
9. He________ being given a receipt for the bill he had paid.
A. asked to B. demanded C. insisted on D. required
10. Children with________ diseases should not be allowed to go to school.
A. contacted B. infectious C. constant D. influential
11. Mr and Mrs Hudson are always________ with each other about how to bring up their children.
A. annoying B. arguing C. explaining D. shouting
12. He was very upset by the________ of his English examination.
A. result B. outcome C. effect D. success
13. The noise of the traffic stopped me________ to sleep.
A. falling B. starting C. coming D. going
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the most suitable response to complete each of the following exchanges.
14. - “I'm going to the beach with my parents this Saturday!”
A. It's quite normal. B. Lucky you! I'm having a karate lesson,
C. Good luck, and take care! D. I'm waiting for your news.
15.- “Do you think I could borrow your dictionary ?”
A. Yes, you may borrow. B. Yes, come on.
C. Yes, help yourself. D. It doesn't matter!
Read the following passage and mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the correct word that best fits each of the numbered blanks.
In England, there is a traditional belief that whoever first arrives at the threshold of the household will bring good luck to the family for the coming year. The tradition is (23) _______ ‘First Footing’. As part of ‘First Footing’ tradition, English people pray for a young, healthy, handsome, and dark-haired male to be their first footer of the New Year. A woman, a blonde, or a red-colored person is not welcome for the day, (24) _______they are considered to bring bad luck for the entire year.
Moreover, if that person carries coal, money, bread, salt, or holy mistletoe with him, then it is considered to be a (25) _______ of good luck and prosperity for the rest of the year. Traditionally, the first footer is meant to follow certain customs and traditions. One of them is that the first footer (26) _______always enter the house from the front door, and exit from the back door. Also, the first footer should place the fuel (as carried along) on the fire, should place the loaf on the table, and should (27) _______water on the head of the householder. Tradition also calls for gifting of the mistletoe by the visitor to any household member.
23. A. called B. known C. thought D. believed
24. A. although B. yet C. whereas D. as
25. A. notice B. sign C. warning D. coming
26. A. may B. would C. should D. could
27. A. flow B. flood C. pour D. empty
Mark the letter A, B, C, or D on your answer sheet to indicate the sentence that is closest in meaning to each of the following questions.
1. Harry no longer smokes a lot. (used to)
2. “I’ll call you as soon as I arrive at the airport,” he said to me. (to call)
3. You should take regular exercises instead of sitting in front of the television all day. (taking)
4. He cannot afford a new computer. (so...that)
Choose the correct sentence A, B, C, or D that is built from the words and phrases given.
1. world’s oceans/ vast/ cope/ present levels/ pollution
2. It/ better/ play safe/ exams/ give/ original answer
3. She suggest/ take/ plane today/ or/ go/ train tomorrow
4. robots/ use/ more/ free/ people/ do/ housework
VII.MAKE THE FOLLOWING USING RELATIVE CLAUSES
3.ann í very friendly. she lives next door
4. the man is a famous actor. you met him at the paty last night
5.there are some words. they are very difficult to translate
6. i was looking for a book this morning .i've found it now
7 is that the car .you want to buy it
sandra works in advertising. you were talking to her