III. Mark the letter A, B, C or D to indicate the correct answer to each of the following questions.
1. Half of the world’s rain forests have already been _______.
A. endangered B. eroded C. found D. destroyed
2. You need warm clothes to _______ yourself from the cold.
A. protect B. take C. destroy D. provide
3. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) CLOSEST in meaning to the underlined word.
Contamination is threatening the park and many species of animals living in it.
A. Population B. Pollution C. Elimination D. Distribution
4. Nearly 1,000 of the world's bird species are threatened with__________.
A. appearance B. protection C. extinction D. destruction
5. We really ought to make a start on campaigns to __________ our polluted rivers and seas.
A. clean up B. clear away C. wipe out D. tidy up
6. Wildlife all over the world is in__________.
A. risk B. danger C. threat D. death
7.Thu Le zoo__________ many kinds of wild animals, such as tigers and lions.
A. covers B. includes C. consists D. contains
8. All the different plants and animals in a natural community are dependent upon each other for _______
A. wildlife B. survival C. livings D. life
9. The death of Lenin was a great ________ to the world proletarian movement.
A. lose B. loss C. lost D. loses
10. The __________ was caused by the fire .
A. destruction B. destructive C. destructively D. destroy
11. The new laws __________ wildlife in the area .
A. consist B. conserve C. connect D. contribute
12. My shirt __________ by my sister on my last birthday.
A. gave B. was given C. had been given D. was being given
13. This exercise may __________ with a pencil.
A. be written B. be to write C. be writing D. write
14. The money__________ to him 2 months ago, but it__________ back yet.
A. was lent/ had not been given B. has been lent/ was not given
C. was lent/ has not given D. was lent/ has not been given
15. Dynamite __________ by Alfred Bernard Nobel.
A. have been invented B. invented C. was invented D. was being invented
16. __________ this work __________ before you went to Moscow?
A. Will/ have been done B. Has/ been done C. Will/ be done D. Had/ been done
17. Mark the letter A, B, C, or D to indicate the word(s) OPPOSITE in meaning to the underlined word.
Man and animals need a constant supply of water to live.
A. irregular B. instant C. convenient D. chemical
18. Acid rain has caused severe ________ on the hill.
A. erosion B. pollution C. destruction D. floods
19. _________is one of the most effective way to protect the environment.
A. Conservation B. Conservationist C. Conservatory D. Conserve
20. What should we do to reduce the level of environmental________?
A. pollute B. polluting C. pollutes D. pollution
21. A large hydroelectric _______ was built on the River Danube.
A. power B. dam C. bank D. wall
22. We are now facing the possible __________ of several rare species .
A. danger B. variety C. disappearance D. existence