I . Find which word does not belong to each group.
1. A. terrifying B. entertaining C. frightening D. exciting
2. A. because of B. although C. despite D. in spite of
3. A. character B. audience C. actor D. actress
4. A. horror B. thriller C.see D. documentary
5. A. feeling B. annoy C. enjoy D. like
II. Choose the word among A, B, C or D that best fits the blank space in the following passage.
explain should their consisted been way any now when plenty
The world’s first film was shown in 1895 by two French brothers, Louis and Auguste Lumiere. Although it only (1) of short, simple scenes, people loved it and films have (2) popular ever since. The first films were silent, with titles on the screen to (3) the story.
Soon the public had (4) favorite actors and actresses and, in this (5 ) , the first film stars appeared. In the 1927, the first “talkie”, a film with sound, was shown and from then on, the public (6 ) only accept this kind of film.
Further improvements continued, particularly in America, (7) produced 95% of all films. With the arrival of television in 1950s, (8) people went to see films, but in (9) years audiences have grown again. More countries have started to produce films that influences film-making and there are currently (10) national film industries.
III. Fill in the blank with a suitable word.
“A Kid in King Arthurs Court” is directed by Michael Gottlieb. The main (1) in the film is a teenager called Calvin Fuller. Calvin is (2) Thomas Ian Nicholas. This film is a modern retelling of Mark Twain’s (3) book Connecticut Yankee.
Calvin lives in California, USA. He is a very shy boy and he is not very good at sports. At the beginning of the film, Calvin is playing baseball when there is a (4) earthquake. A hole opens in the ground and Calvin falls through it. He lands in the past, in the (5) of King Arthur.
Calvin meets King Arthur and Merlin, the wizard. King Arthur is played by joss Ackland and Merlin is played by Ron Moody. They think that Calvin is (6) because he plays them modern music on his CD player and he show them (7) to make rollerblades and a mountain bike. Calvin is trained to be a knight and he becomes more (8) . Calvin helps King Arthur to beat his enemy, Lord Belasco, and then Merlin sends Calvin back to the future. Calvin finds himself back in the baseball game, (9) this time he wins the game.
The special effects in A Kid in King Arthur’s Court are very good. Michael Gottlieb is a great director and the actors’ performances are good. The film is funny and (10) . It’s a comedy, a drama, and an action film all in one.
1. A. author B. name C. character D. actress
2. A. played B. did C. made D. created
3. A. classify B. class C. classic D. classical
4. A. terrify B. terrible C. terrifying D. terribled
5. A. period B. decade C. moment D. time
6. A. amazed B. amazing C. amaze D. amazes
7. A. what B. whatever C. how D. which
8. A. confident B. confidence C. confide D. confided
9. A. although B. but C. despite D. even
10. A. excite B. excited C. excites D. exciting