Ex1:Change these sentences into Reported Speech:
1. Nam said he was told to be at school before 7 o’clock.
2. Thu said all the students would have a meeting the following week.
3. Phong said his parents were very proud of his good marks.
4. The teacher said all the homework had to be done carefully.
5. Her father said to her She could go to the movie with her friend.
6. Hoa said she might visit her parents in the summer.
7. The teacher said we(they) could collect old book for the poor students.
8. She said she didn’t buy that book.
9. The boys said they had to try their best to win the match.
10. Her classmate said Lan was the most intelligent girl in their class.
11. They told us their friends would get the award for their highest scores.
12. He said he would go to school by bus the following day.
13. Phong said he needed to learn more vocabulary.
14. His brother told him he could use his computer that day.
15. Mai said to Nam she could not go to the movies with him.
Ex2:EXERCISES (REPORTED SPEECH: YES/NO QUESTIONS)
1. Phong asked Peter if/ whether he enjoyed reading.
2. Hoa asked Lan if/ whether she liked sports.
3. She asked Nam if/ whether his sister and brother went to the same school.
4. She asked her mom if/ whether there were some oranges in the fridge.
5. He asked his friend if/ whether it would rain the following morning.
6. Tam asked Peter if/ whether he had gone to Hue three years before.
7. Tuan asked Lan if/ whether Tan and Hoa were late for class.
8. She asked to me if/ whether I could speak Chinese.
9. Tam asked Thu if/ whether she would be here for five days.
10. She asked Ba if/ whether he had been reading that book at 8 o’clock the Sunday before.
11. Lan asked Hoa if/ whether she might look at her pictures.
12. Phong asked Ba if/ whether those athletes could swim across that river.
13. Lam asked Lan if/ whether their class would take part in that competition.
14. Tuan asked Ba if/ whether he was fond of watching television.
15. Nga asked Hoa if/ whether she might use her dictionary for a moment.
Ex3:EXERCISES (REPORTED SPEECH: WH-QUESTIONS)
1. The teacher asked me where my father worked.
2. She asked Lan how many people there were in her family.
3. Tam’s friend asked him how long he would stay in England.
4. She asked her mom if/ whether there were some oranges in the fridge.
5. The teacher asked Lien what her hobby was.
6. His friend asked him how he went to the airport.
7. Lan asked Lien how much that dress cost.
8. Ba asked Tam how often he washed his clothes.
9. Phong asked Thu when her father would leave Vietnam for the USA.
10. The librarian asked my teacher how many books the students needed.
Ex4:Reported speech with to infinitive
1.She told him to give her another glass of wine
2.She told me to bring her a book.
3.Mother told him to open the window
4.He told me to shut the door after me
5.The captain told them to wait there still he come back
6.She told her to take it and come with her
7.He told me not to come back before one o'clock
8.My mother told me not to forget to look at the door
9.He told his brother not to open the window, open the door
10.He told the girl not to sit on his bed, sit on that chair
Ex5:Reported speech with to infinitive and gerund (HSG)
1. The old man accused the boy of having broken 2 of his glasses.
2. The boy admitted having broken 2 of them.
3. He insisted on taking me to the zoo the following Sunday.
4. She offered to water the flowers every morning if I liked.
5. They refused to go with him the following Friday.
6. The teacher accused the pupils of making the wall dirty
7. The children denied making noise the night before
8. The parents threatened to shut the door if their children went on getting out
9. The girl apologized for having made the house untidy
10.The teacher threatened to punish the pupils if they didn’t pay attention to the lesson
11.He offered to look after the house for me
12.She told me to keep quite
13.He ordered me to keep my mouth shut
14.He suggested meeting outside the cinema after eight
15.He offered to repair the car for me.
16.He invited me to have a drink
17.She advised me to hurry
18. He begged me to let him come in
19.He commanded us not to talk anymore
20. He encouraged all of us to try again
21.He warned me not to swim so far
22.She invited me to come and enjoy tea with her family
23. He suggested coming to visit their teacher that day
24. She advised me to do morning exercises
25. She advised me to learn English
Ex6:Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note the change of pronouns in some sentences.
1. The teacher told Joe to stop talking.
2. She told him to be patient.
3. Her father told her to go to her room.
4. She told us to hurry up.
5. He asked her to give him the key.
6. She asked Sam to play it again.
7. He asked Caron to sit down.
8. The receptionist asked the guest to fill in the form.
9. She told us to take off our shoes.
10.She told him to mind his own business.
11.She told him not to touch it.
12.He told me not to do that again.
13.He told her not to talk to him like that.
14.She warned him not to repair the computer himself.
15.She told me not to let him in.
16.He begged her not to go out without him.
17.She told me not to forget my bag.
18.The chemistry teacher told his students not to eat in the lab.
19.He advised her not to give herself up.
20.She told the boys not to hurt themselves.
Ex7:Change the following sentence into reported speech:
1. The teacher told john to write that exercise carefully.
2. Mrs green told me to sing as our party.
3. The teacher told john to be careful and think before he answered.
4. Tom told John to read his exercise and tell him if it was correct
5. The traveler told the taxi driver to direct to Victoria station as fast as he could.
6.He asked me if the window was open
7. The pupil asked the teacher to give them better marks
8. Ann told her son what a dirty face he had!
9. My brother advise me not to come back before one o'clock
10. She said that she wondered who was coming on the excursion the next day.
11. Mr.Brown suggested going out for a walk.
12. The teacher said that It wasn't so foggy that day as it has been the previous day
13. My father told me to be modest if I was a good pupil
14. She told me not to forget to send her parents her regards
15. Johnny asked asked Alice if he had gotten
16. He told me to listen
17.He asked me if I told you or I would be punished
18. He advised me not to do that because it was very dangerous
19. Mary said to John that she couldn’t go to the movie with him
20. She told us to shut the door but not to lock it
Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note the change of pronouns and tenses.
1.She asked where her umbrella was.
2. Martin asked us how we were.
3.He asked if he had to do it.
4.The mother asked her daughter where she had been.
5.She asked her boyfriend which dress he liked best.
6. She wanted to know what they were doing.
7. He wanted to know if I was going to the cinema.
8.The teacher wanted to know who spoke English.
9.She asked me how I knew that.
10.My friend asked me if Caron had talked to Kevin.
Complete the sentences in reported speech. Note the change of pronouns and tenses. 1. He wanted to know what the time was.
2. She asked me when we would meet again.
3. She asked him if he was crazy.
4. He wanted to know where they had lived.
5. He asked her if she would be at the party.
6. She asked me if I could meet her at the station.
7. The teacher wanted to know who knew the answer.
8. She wanted to know why he didn't help her.
9. He asked me if I had seen that car.
10.The mother asked the twins if they had tidied up their room.
Choose the sentence A, B, C or D that best rewrite the root one:
1. C 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. D 6. A 7. C 8. B 9. A 10. A 11. A 12. A 13. C 14. B 15. B 16. 17. 18. 19. A 20.