strawberries hay a donkey a fence sheep flowers rice straw ahorse a tent grass a building grapes cattle a camel a memorial rainwater a bike roses buffaloes a motorcycle cows lettuces a poster stamps goats ♦ride: ♦ herd: ♦collect: ♦pick: ♦ put up:
Read the text carefully, then choose the correct answers. For 3,000 years, Mongolians have lived in the rural areas, adopting a pastoral way of life, moving in the search of new pastures. They depend largely on their livestock for a living and sustain themselves with what they can get from the land. Today, approximately half of Mongolia’s population is still roaming the vast plains living in the ger and moving their campings several timesa year. Nomadic life thrives in summer and survives in winter. When temperatures are warm, they work hard on their farms to get milk and make airag, consuming meat from their sheeps and goats. Once winter comes, temperatures dip extremely low and they stay indoors and survive on horse meat. With the rise of technology, changes in the Mongolian nomadic lifestyle are almost inevitable. While they still lead their lifestyle as pastoral herders, many use motorbikes to herd cattle and horses. To move their homes, trucks have taken the place of ox carts. Solar panels are also becoming an addition to the ger, giving them access to electricity without being confined to one place. The nomads use solar energy to power television sets and mobile phones. 1. Mongolians regularly move from place to place in order to _________. a.look for food for their family b. find pastures for their livestock c. herd their cattle and horses d. sell their animals and farm products 2. How many Mongolians still live a traditional nomadic life? a.Close to 40 percent b. More than 50 percent c. About 50 percent d. Approximately 60 percent 3. What is a ger? a.A portable, round tent b. A thatched house c. A circular house made of snow d. A wooden hut 4. What is the Mongolian’s main food in winter? a.airag b. goat meat c. sheep meat d. horse meat 5. Today, Mongolian nomads _________. a.don’t lead their lifestyle as herders any more b.use ox carts to move their homes c.use solar energy to power electronic devices d.have the advantage of urban life 6. Which of the followings is NOT true about Mongolian nomads? a.They live in the countryside. b.They live by and for their livestock. c.They work hard in winter when the temperature dip very low.
XII. Choose the word which best fits each gap.
Although the city seems to have a lot of great things, the country can offer as (1)_________ satisfaction as well. The country is a marvelous place to live in. It offers a very relaxing feeling, and it is filled (2)_________ magnificent views and scenery. Rural towns offer more open space than cities and aren’t overcrowded. The country can also maybe help you become a more independent and (3)_________ person. You can buy a small piece of land, plough it and put some (4)_________ in order to grow your own vegetables. This way you (5)_________ your own crops, and eat and live in a very healthy way. (6)_________, being in the countryside makes you more of an outdoor person often enjoying the voices and wild places of nature. Not everyone is (7)_________ to the city life and not everyone has the desire to live permanently in the countryside. It is a matter of perspective and personal point of (8)_________.
1. a. most b. more c. much d. many
2. a. in b. out c. up d. with
3. a. active b. idle c. passive d. quiet
4. a. weeds b. seeds c. breeds d. branches
5. a. collect b. damage c. complete d. rotate
6. a. By contrast b. However c. Therefore d. In addition
7. a. Interested b. bored c. suited d. excited
8. a. care b. view C. contact d. way
Read the text carefully, then answer the questions. Many people enjoy living in a big city because they think life is more exciting there. However, I come from a small village and in my view, there are lots of benefits. The main reason I prefer village life is because it’s very quiet, so I always feel calm when I’m here. Another reason is that the air is so fresh and clean. We have more green spaces and bigger gardens, too. In addition, I think the people here are friendlier. Personally, I’m interested in wildlife photography, so the countryside is perfect for me. The only downside is transport. I have an early start for a long Journey to school in Faro and the school bus is always stopping to pick up more people. Also, it’s boring sometimes, but I enjoy chatting to my friends. Fortunately, I’m learning to ride a moped. On balance, I disagree that city life is better, as I think my village lifestyle is healthier and more relaxing. In spite of that, some of my friends couldn’t cope with life in the country, so it comes down to personal opinion. 1. Where does the writer come from? 2. Does he like living in a big city? 3. Why does he prefer village life? 4. How does he think about the people in his village? 5. According to the writer, what is the disadvantage of living in the village? 6. How does he go to school? 7. Does he think city life is better than village life? 8. What is he interested in?
I. Write the correct form or tense of the verbs in brackets.
1. We ___________(play) football this afternoon. Do you want to play too?
2. Could you meet me at the airport tomorrow? My flight___________(arrive) at six.
3. Last summer, my friends and I ___________(spend) our holiday on a farm.
4. Nick ___________(not ride) a buffalo drawn cart before.
5. The cattle ___________(graze) on the green pastures right now.
6. Millions of Mongolians ___________(be) semi-nomadic herders for thousands of years.
7. My family ___________(live) in a small town for ten years before moving to Boston.
8. Country life ___________(not excite) me at all. It’s so boring.
9. Nick would like ___________(visit) the countryside at the harvest time.
10. I don’t mind ___________(drive) for 1.5 hours on the weekend to get out to the countryside.
II. Write the correct form of the word in brackets.
1. People seem to have lost their ___________ in boating on small rivers. (enjoy)
2. More and more ___________are leaving the countryside to city. (farm)
3. A town has a ___________ population than a village does. (large)
4. Sylvia likes the ___________ atmosphere during her stay in the valley. (peace)
5. The firefighters were praised for their ___________ and devotion to duty. (brave)
6. Visually the house is very pleasing, but it’s ___________. (comfort)
7. It is true that the city can provide much ___________. (convenient)
8. Agricultural work is ___________ seen as a male occupation. (tradition)
9. Villages and towns are not as densely ___________ as cities. (populate)
Mọi người ơi làm ơn giúp tớ với. Pleaz~