I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the others in the same line.
1. A. marble B. particular C. participate D. spark
2. A. simplify B. envy C. lifestyle D. psychology
3. A. champagne B. change C. challenge D. teacher
4. A. bough B. freight C. weigh D. cough
5. A. imitate B. expectation C. fathom D. nature
II. Choose the correct answer A, B, c, or D to complete each of the following sentences.
6 . ____ a wrong number, it is important to apologize before hanging up.
A. To dial B. Dialing C. If you dial D. If it is dialed
7. Paul Samuelson was the first American to win the Nobei Prize in ______.
A. economy B. economic C. economics D. economical
8. Pilots who prepare for military careers train on the ground ______ in the air.
A. good as B. well as C. as good as D. as well as
9. Beethoven's nephew became his pupil, but this relationship turned out _____.
A. bad B. badly c. worst D. more badly
10. Dolphins and whales are mammals that ______ lives in water.
A. spend their entire B. their entire
C. spend there entirely D. spending their entire
11. He'll soon forget ______ in the accident.
A. having involved B. being involved C. to involve D. to be involved
12. There is ______habitable land than there used to be because of extensivedevelopment by humans.
A. fewer B: less C. more D. little
13. Thanks to the invention of labor-saving _____ , domestic chores are no longer a burden.
A. devices B. things C. equipments D. furnitures
14. We should take measures to protect the _____ species on this Red List.
A. last B. outstanding C. dying D. remaining
15._____ school leavers go to Vocational Schools than before.
A. Less B. Far more C. Many D. Lots more16. The President of the club is going to ______ a speech.
A. take B. talk C. deliver D. say
17 . ______ hard he tries, he never seems able to do the work satisfactorily.
A. Whatever B. Even though
C. Although very D. No matter how18. She eats too much and is now suffering from ______
A. weighty B. underweight C. overweight D. weightlessness
19. People with very _____ skin shouldn’t go sunbathing for long periods.
A. sensitive B. sensible C. senseless D. sensed
20. Anne was taken _______ when the doorbell rang, as she wasn’t expecting anyone.
A. by chance B. by accident C. by mistake D. by surprise
21. Alan won first ______ in the tennis tournament.
A. medal B. prize C. reward D. award
22 - "Have you written to John yet?"
- "No, I didn't know his address; ____ I would have written to him."
A. because B. otherwise C. consequently D. therefore
23. The Olympic Games are given ______ television coverage.
A. worldwide B. wide-world C. world widely D. world over
24. - “Alice, do you think I could use your calculator for some minutes?”
A. No, you couldn’t B. Yes, I do
C. I hope not D. Please go ahead25. - “______” - “Well, yes. I’d like to buy a laptop."
A. Do you look for something?
B. Good morning. Can I help you?
C. Excuse me. Do you want to buy it?
D. Can you help me buy something?III. Fill each of the numbered blanks with the correct word from the list given.Almost - cracks - its - Suchthemselves - which - rise - repeatedspectacular - Most - them - violentA volcano is an opening in the earth’s surface through (26) ......... lava, hot gases, and rock fragments erupt. (27).......... an opening occurs when melted rock from deep within the earth blasts through the surface. (28) ........... volcanoes are atop mountains, particularly cone-shaped mountains. The mountains (29) ........... are also called volcanoes.
Eruptions of volcanic mountains are (30) ........... sights. In some eruptions, huge fiery clouds (31) .......... over the mountain, and glowing rivers of lava flow down (32) ......... sides. In other eruptions, red-hot ash and cinders shoot out the mountaintop, and large chunks of hot rock are blasted high into the air. A few eruptions are so (33) ...... that they blow the mountain apart.
Some eruptions occur on volcanic islands. Such islands are the top of volcanic mountains that have been built up from the ocean floor by (34) ........... eruptions. Other eruptions occur along narrow (35)...........in the ocean floor.
IV. Give the correct form of the words given to complete the following passage.Tornados are one of the most dangerous kinds of storm on Earth. Although they do not last long, they can strike with extreme (36. violent) ..................... travelling at speeds of up fifty miles per hour. The (37. wide) .................... of most tornados is about five hundred feet, but in (38. exception) .................... circumstances they can be up to a mile wide and travel huge distances, (39. possible) .................... hundreds of miles. The reasons why they spin remain (40. mystery) ................... but we know that tornados can form when columns of air below thunderclouds start rising. Their (41. strong) .................. is increased by (42. circle) .................... winds. In the Southern hemisphere, they always spin in a (43. clock) ....................direction, while in the North it is the opposite. At the centre of the tornado the air (44. press) ............. is extremely low, so the wind rushing in at hundreds of miles an hour has the effect of a(n) (45. credible) ................... powerful vacuum cleaner on dirt andsolid objects on the ground below.